Hongjoong ✦ Jack Frost

Published: June 3, 2020
Rewritten: April 5, 2023

Word count: 3,028

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

You stepped outside into the chilly winter air all bundled up in your warmest attire

You stepped outside into the chilly winter air all bundled up in your warmest attire. A small, excited squeak escaped your lips as you watched the large snowflakes fall from the sky, blanketing the ground below. It was the first snow of the season and you couldn't be happier, you loved the snow and had been waiting for this moment since fall.
You stepped out onto the white blanket coating the ground, the snow crunching satisfyingly under your boots as you walked across it. You began grabbing handfuls of snow, balling them up in your gloved palms. You made three small, messy and uneven spheres stacking them on top of each other, pressing them down firmly into one another so they would stay in place. You abandoned your structure for a few moments to break off a couple small twigs from a nearby tree, sticking them into either side of the middle snowball.

You managed to find a few tiny gravels to use as a face for your snowman. Your gloved fingers pressed the tiny stones into the top sphere, making two eyes and a mouth. It looked a little funny without a nose, so you grabbed another twig and broke it off until it was just a short nub, pressing it into the snowball.
Once you finished, you stepped away to get a look at your little creation, smiling fondly at it. Gingerly, you lifted the snowman off the ground and placed him on the top step of your porch, admiring him for a moment. You didn't really want to go back inside, preferring to spend more time in the snow. The only problem was that there wasn't much to do at your place, plus the yard wasn't very big so you didn't have much room to do anything. After contemplating for a few moments, you dusted the remnants of the fluffy, white substance off your gloves and decide to head to the park.

Before heading off, you retrieved your headphones from your jacket pocket and stuck them in your ears, wanting to listen to music on your walk. Once you selected a song you began moving in the direction of the park, the cold air nipping at your nose and cheeks. As you made your way down the sidewalk you marveled at the snow covering the trees; tiny icicles hanging from the slim branches that had long shed their leaves, decorating the tree in a way like ornaments made from ice. There weren't many cars on the road, which made sense since the weather wasn't the best. Most people preferred to stay inside when it's snowing, but not you. You happily headed to the park with a skip in your step, spotting the sign for the park a few minutes later, walking through the entrance. You were met with the sight of children running around everywhere, parents playing with their kids, and teenagers having snowball fights. You decided to take a stroll around the perimeter of the park using the paved walking trail, watching as everyone had fun in the snow.

At some point, you stopped to rest your legs which were tired from all the walking. You leaned against a tree, your breath coming out in puffs of clouds on account of the cold temperature. The snow had stopped falling so heavily from the sky some time ago, the snowflakes were a bit smaller, now floating gently to the ground. You stared off in the distance where most of the kids were off playing in the snow rather than on the jungle gym. You didn't really blame them, the monkey bars were probably freezing. Just then, as your eyes scanned the area, you caught sight of a man standing not too far from you. You didn't seem to notice him a minute ago.
When did he get here?
He had his back turned, but you could tell he was different.
He donned a long, blue, furry coat and white dress pants. His shoes were white as well and appeared to be fancy dress shoes. It was strange attire for someone hanging out at the park. He was looking up at the sky. You saw him hold his hand up towards the clouds above, a small, trail of glitter following his hand's movements. Suddenly, snow began to fall heavy like it was earlier, the snowflakes becoming fluffier as they descended faster. You heard a small, breathy chuckle come from the man as he admired his work.