Mingi ✦ Niffler Nabbing | Hogwarts AU

Slytherin Mingi x Hufflepuff reader

Word count: 5,861

DO NOT read or interact if you're under 14

Mingi pushed his food around on his plate, eyes fixed on the peas that rolled across the saucer and into his mashed potatoes

"Mingi?" You inquired softly, tapping your index finger on the table to gain his attention.
He blinked a few times, looking up at you with those heart-melting sparkly brown eyes of his.
"Hm?" He hummed.
"What's got you so distracted? You've barely touched your steak. It's your favorite."
"I was just thinking."
"You know you can talk to me about anything, right?"
He hummed, nodding his head.
"Then, what's weighing on your mind?"
"What if I end up as an evil wizard?" He questioned worriedly. "Most of the bad wizards are from Slytherin."
Your expression softened and settled into a gentle smile as you let out a chortle. "Mingi, you don't have anything to worry about."
"That's easy for you to say. You're in one of the nicest houses in Hogwarts."
"Your house doesn't define you, you know. For instance, you. You're so friendly and kind to everyone you meet. Slytherins aren't always mean."
He blinked a few times, his eyes shimmering as he took in every word you said.
"You know, I've come across some awfully mean Hufflepuffs."
His eyes became wide at this.
"Really?"
"Mhm." You nodded. "Some meaner than any Slytherin I've met."
"Ah." His brows raised. "That makes me feel better."
"Good." You gave a nod of finality before finishing your meal.
You waited patiently for Mingi to eat, sipping on the remainder of your drink until he was done.

"Ah." You sighed contently as the both of you left the dining hall. "Nothing like a good meal to end the day."
"Yeah." Mingi agreed.
Your gaze moved to the windows of the school seeing the evening sky outside. Classes were over for the day and this was usually when students would go to their respective dormitories and hang out in the common room or spend time in the study hall, but you wanted to do something with Mingi. You thought back to what he had said just a few minutes ago at dinner about being a Slytherin. Though your words seemed to bring some comfort and relief to him, you felt he needed something else to cheer him up.

"Hey, I know something we could do." You spoke up as an idea popped into your head.
There was one thing that was 100% guaranteed to cheer Mingi up.
"What?"
"We could stop by Hagrid's hut to see what new creatures he's taking care of."
Mingi's eyes lit up, glimmering with excitement as he nodded vigorously. "Let's go!"
With his confirmation, the two of you took off across the quad and exited the area, waking together across the school grounds. Hagrid's hut was just a small, dark lump in the distance as he lived quite a ways away from the castle.
"You remember those things we learned about in our care of magical creatures class? Ah. What are they called?" You murmured. "Oh! Mooncalves. Do you think Hagrid will be caring for any of those?"
"I hope so. The pictures in our textbooks look so cute. I'd love to see one in person." Mingi gushed.