[Love and Tears] part 17.

Start from the beginning

"Callie?" He said gently, snapping me out of my thoughts. I struggled to look at him but eventually found his eyes. He stared at me for a moment, before instructing me to stay there. I didn't even react and he left the room. I heard him asking one of them in the other room if they had any ice. They all asked what had happened before Jay left the room to locate the ice. The door opening made my head hurt more.

"Callie! Honey, what happened!?" Danielle's squeaky voice yelled. Her mouth dropped when she saw whatever it was that was on my head. She sat on the bed, making it bounce. I winced in pain.

"Jay." I replied, simply and quietly.

"What? He beat you up?" She questioned. I didn't even look at her. I stared into the air, deep in thought. 

"Yeah. Mentally."  I replied. She looked very puzzled.

"Huh? Your making no sense." She told me.

"This makes no sense. None of it. It's all muddled up and I'm confused. I thought I understood it, Dan, I really did. But I don't." Danielle raised an eyebrow.

"What are you talking about?"

"That's what I mean. That's how I feel right now." Her eyebrow seemed to have moved up even more. She bit her lip trying to understand what I was saying.

"What? Explain that again please. And this time make sense."

"How can I explain something to you when it doesn't even make sense to me." I stated, still staring at the air. The room was very crammed. The cream walls made it seem bigger however the fact is a double bed hardly fit in there.

"OK. Yeah. Yup. The only thing I'm understanding is that door messed up your head." She told me, playing with my hair. My mum and dad had died. My uncle, aunty and cousin had died. I was forced to look after my other uncle with no fun. He had almost chocked and died partially thanks to me. But this feeling topped them all. Can you imagine?

Jay burst through the door. Danielle's head shot up to look at him.

"She's gone a bit loopy." She told him, doing the hand gestures, before leaving.

"Sorry it took so long, he has a load of sh... never mind. Now, this may hurt." He said gently, before pressing the frozen peas on my head. I let out a small cry of pain before it felt good.

"I'm sorry, Callie. About everything." He told me. I laughed.

"OK so your sorry? And that's going to fix everything, is it?" I asked, laughing more. The frozen peas slipped down my face and my hand raced to put it and hold it back in place.

"No, not at all. Will you give me a chance to explain?" He asked, innocence filling his eyes. That's the least I needed.

"No. There's nothing to explain. I'm the loser. You're the popular one. It's never going to happen. End of story. So I've saved you the trouble." I said, staring back into air and re-entering my thoughts again.

"No! You're not a loser! No no no! Never say that! I'm not even popular."

I let out a small chuckle. "Yeah, right."

"I was like you. Remember when I first met you feeding the ducks?"

I rolled my eyes for a moment, straining my recently bumped head to try and remember. "Oh yeah. Where this mess all started..."

"Mess? Callie, please, don't call it that."

"Well it's hardly anything good is it? Ever since I've met you my life has turned upside down. Because of YOU. And now you pull this prank and you think anything will ever be the same? You think everything will just go back to it's messy self? You think this is not a mess? Jay, are you sure it's me the one with the messed up head?" He applied pressure to my bruise. "Ow!"