Confrontation

I grew impatient with my brothers. While they sat on their asses doing nothing, I visited Gloria to confront her about Dylan. I wanted answers. I pulled up in front of the house and got out of the car. Then I heard crash sounds and screams.

"What are you doing? Put the gun away, Maurice!" Gloria screamed as I ran to the front door. I opened it, stepping inside as Maurice pointed the gun at Gloria. Gloria is bloody and bruised as Maurice had her begging.

Then I heard a click. Before Gloria had a chance to react, I tackled Maurice. We fought as the gun got knocked out of his hands.

"You piece of shit!" I barked as I slammed my fist into his face.

"Carri!" Gloria yelled, distracting me. Maurice got me, knocking me off balance.

"Run, Gloria!" I yelled as I went after Maurice. We continue to fight, crashing into furniture. No way was I letting this asshole go this time. Maurice and I fought, then he went for the gun.

Maurice grabbed the gun, and I went after him. We struggled with the weapon as it fired, making Gloria jump. Maurice looked at me as I looked at him, then he fell to the floor. The door opened as Dylan came into the house to see me holding the gun. Maurice laid on the floor in a puddle of blood.

Gloria grabbed the gun from me, wiping it with her shirt. "Go, Carri," she ordered as I left the room, hiding out sight. Dylan walked over and took the gun from his mom, holding it.

I saw the door open, and Ryan enters along with Jordan. They stood there, shocked. I laid the back of my head against the wall.

*******
I stood there for a while; then, I heard Charles's voice along with the police. I was ready to turn myself in for shooting Maurice. I turned to confess, coming face to face with Charles. He shook his head and put his finger to his lips.

Charles went back into the other room as I stood there. I waited until the police left, then came face to face with Gloria. She looked like hell.

"Gloria," I whispered.

"Thank you," Gloria said, then started crying. I pulled her to me, holding her. She buried her head into me as she cried. As angry as I am with a Gloria, seeing her this way wasn't right. It made me wonder how long she dealt with the abuse.

When the coast is clear, I came out of hiding and stood in the kitchen. Gloria entered with Dylan. I stood there, looking at my son.

"Dylan, this is your father," Gloria admitted as Dylan looked at her, shocked.

I stood there as Dylan turned and walked away. That broke my heart. My son rejected me.

"Give Dylan time," Gloria told me.

"Time? That's all I had, Gloria. Time of not knowing my son. Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"Because it's not simple," Gloria whispered.

"Then explain it to me. For fifteen years, I didn't know that I had a son, then one day I meet him at my brother's house. So, explain to me how it's not simple," I exclaimed. I felt my anger building.

"Because Mateo threatens to kill us!" Gloria confessed.

"What?" I stood there, shocked.

"The last night we were together, I came home. Maurice forced me to have sex with him. Then one day, I took a pregnancy test. It turned out positive. Maurice saw it and assume it was his baby. I didn't know whose baby it was at the time. Maurice told his family. Mateo cornered me in the kitchen and threatened me. He said if I told the truth about my affair, he would kill Dylan and me," Gloria explained.

"But I would have protected you," I said.

"I wanted to wait until I could leave, and one night I did. Dylan was about two years old. We left to find you; then I found out you got married to a newspaper announcement. I couldn't show up at your door, announcing you're a father and ruining your happiness. I hurt you enough," Gloria admitted.

"Nikita knows about you because I told her. Even though it's over with us, I wouldn't turn my back on Dylan. I sure in the hell would protect him against that asshole," I told Gloria.

Charles entered the kitchen.

"Gloria, it's time," Charles announced.

"Time for what?" I questioned, confused.

Gloria looked at me. "To protect Dylan and you, I'm signing over my rights to Charles so that he can adopt Dylan. Since your name isn't on the birth certificate, and Maurice is dead, there won't be any dispute. Please don't fight this, Carri. Our son needs peace," Gloria reasoned as I stood there.

I watched as Gloria turned and left. I was losing my son again. How fair is this?

Charles walked over to me.

"Just because I'm adopting Frazier doesn't mean you aren't his father," Charles said.

I looked at him. "What?"

Charles smiled. "Carri, you can see Frazier anytime. It's a cover to keep Maurice's brothers away from Frazier and protect him. You deserve to know your son. You may find out he's more interesting than you know," Charles explained.

"That's if Dylan lets me. He's angry, and I don't blame him. I want my son, Charles," I pleaded as Charles nodded.

Now, the ball is in Frazier's court. I hope that Frazier gave me a chance. If he doesn't, then that's my punishment for having an affair with his mother. I had wondered why Gloria never showed that night, and now I have my answer. I loved her at one point, but the love faded over time. Another love replaced it, and the person was a child.

How do you love someone you barely know? One day, I hope to find out.