Starting over

After that night, I returned to Mason's house. I said nothing when I arrived, waiting for a lecture from Mason. I entered the house as Mason met me at the door. I looked at him, and he looked at me.

No lecture came as I went up to my bedroom. Over the summer, I stayed to myself. I vowed not to fall in love again. Elliot is right; love is nothing but trouble. I made a decision not to return to Saintwood College in the fall. I took correspondence courses during the summer to finish my degree. It's better this way.

Gloria made her decision, leaving me upset and angry. As I focused on moving on, Cole toddled into my room. I felt something touch my leg, looking down to see Cole holding onto my leg and steadying himself. He stared at me with his blue eyes as I smiled at him slightly. I said nothing as Luci walked in and picked him up.

"Cole, you shouldn't bother Carri. He's busy moping," Luci mentioned. I looked at her unamused.

"I'm not moping. I'm focusing on school and preparing for work with Mason," I lied. Yeah, I was moping.

"That's bull, and you know it. You can fool everyone else, but you can't do it to me," Luci stated.

I looked at her knowingly.

"Before I met Mason, I thought I loved a man. I planned to run away with the man, thinking it would make me happy. The man left me standing at the train station, waiting, never showing. I cried, thinking love won't happen, then I met this man who showed me why it was better that it didn't work with the other man," Luci explained.

"You met Mason," I mentioned.

"Heck, no! I met a man named Antoine Pizzo," Luci told me.

I looked at her strangely. What was the point of this conversation?

"We dated, then Antoine took me to a dinner party where I met Mason," Luci said.

I still didn't see a point to this conversation.

"Mason stole me from Antoine, and I dislike your brother for dragging me away from someone I love. That's until Mason showed me why he's the better man," Luci mentioned, smirking.

I groaned. I didn't need to know about my brother's sex life. I didn't want to hear about anyone's sex life.

"One day, mark my words, you will meet a woman for you," Luci insisted, leaving the bedroom with Cole.

I had my doubts. I wasn't looking and didn't want to meet anyone. My family's right. I should have ended things with Gloria. I didn't listen because I didn't care what my family said.

******
I finished my schooling, earning my degree, then started working with Mason and Joseph. I sat in an office, going over numbers when Mason walked in and sat down in a chair.

I continue working, saying nothing.

"I'm sending you to Russia," Mason mentioned.

My head snapped up as I looked at Mason.

"Why?" I asked.

"I need you to take care of a deal for me," Mason said. I furrowed my brows. "When you get home, pack a suitcase. You will have a ticket and passport waiting along with money."

"Do I have a choice?" I questioned.

"No, you don't," Mason told me.

"I didn't think so," I mumbled.

That was Mason's punishment for not listening to him about Gloria. My brother has a way of punishing us when we disobey him. I hate traveling, and he knew it, so he sent me to other countries.