Here comes Frazier

Gloria

I kept my promise to Dylan, shielding him from Maurice, but it's proving difficult. I decided to leave one night with Dylan, hoping someone understands. It's a decision that proved futile.

I packed two bags while Maurice's passed out from another binge. I left with Dylan. I drove until I found a diner, then pulled into the parking lot. I unbuckled Dylan, taking him inside the restaurant.

I sat down in a booth with Dylan. A waitress brought me something to drink, and I grabbed some cereal for Dylan. I sat there, figuring what I would say when I find Carri. While I sat there, thinking, Dylan grabbed a newspaper left of the table.

I took the newspaper from Dylan, then something caught my eye. I opened it up to the announcements, then I saw it. A marriage announcement of Carrington Jones and Nikita Petrova. I stared at the paper as my heart sank.

I set the paper down and sat there as Dylan ate his cereal. Carri got married? I looked at Dylan while he ate and realized my idea wouldn't work. I made a choice, and I can't blame Carri for finding happiness.

"It looks like It's you and me, Dylan. I'm sorry," I apologized as Dylan looked at me and smiled. He even had his father's smile. I finished my drink, paying, then left the diner. I drove home with Dylan as he fell asleep in his car seat.

It didn't matter what happened to me now. The only thing that matters is protecting Dylan. I returned to find Maurice standing there waiting for us.

"Gloria," Maurice said.

"Maurice, it's over unless you quit drinking. You lay one hand on Dylan, and I will kill you," I threatened Maurice. I know it's stupid on my part, but I didn't have anything to lose now.

Maurice looked at me with seriousness.

"I mean it, Maurice. You will not harm Dylan," I ordered as I went upstairs to put Dylan to bed. It's time to find back, but it wouldn't last. The problem with someone like Maurice, he changes his way for a short time, then slips back to his old ways.

I would find this out as Dylan grew up. I didn't know what, but Dylan will carry my burden. All I can do is protect him.

********
As Dylan got older, I saw things in him; I didn't imagine. He turned out to kind and loving. Dylan enjoyed a good prank pitting him against his cousins.

We went to Maurice's family's house for a barbecue, and Dylan pulled a prank on the other boys. It turned ugly as the other boys pounced on Dylan. I came out of the house, seeing Maurice not intervening as his brothers egged on their children.

"Stop it!" I shouted as I ran over and pulled the boys off my boy.

"Gloria!" Maurice barked.

My head snapped in Maurice's direction. "No! Dylan is smaller, and you did nothing!"

Maurice took a step towards us.

"Don't! You come near Dylan, and I will hit you with something!" I yelled, making everyone stop. I didn't care if it pissed his family off. I refused to let Maurice hurt Dylan. I turned to Dylan. "Let's take you home."

Dylan nodded as I wrapped my arm around him. I walked him to the car as Maurice glared at me. Glare all you want, it didn't matter. I took Dylan home and cleaned him up, putting a bandage over his eye.

"Dylan," I started to say with a look.

"Mom, I hate my cousins," Dylan told me, furrowing his brows. His emerald green eyes looked at me.

"Honey, I know, but we don't have a choice," I told Dylan.

"They're boring and would rather fight. I don't like my cousins. They don't have a sense of humor," Dylan huffed. I couldn't disagree.

"Promise me that you won't instigate issues," I said.

"I make no promises, Mom," Dylan told me, putting his hand up. I don't know what I will do with this child. I'll deal with Maurice later.

*******
Frazier

Mom patched new up because my cousins are jerks. Every time I go around my cousins, they jump me, so I got even with them, idiots. I swear they don't have a sense of humor. As always, my dad did nothing. I hated him.

I know I'm only six, but one day, I will protect my mom. She deserves it.

I heard the door slam, then my parents arguing. Great, Dad's home. I heard footsteps, followed by noise. I hid in my spot that Mom showed me. I sat there, hearing my bedroom door open.

"Where is that shit?" Dad growled.

"You're not touching Dylan!" Mom screamed as I placed my hands over my ears. I closed my eyes as I heard crashing sounds and stuff breaking. Mom and Dad fought as I hid, then it went silent.

I opened my door to find Mom on the floor. I rushed over to her. "Mom!"

"It's okay, Dylan. Get me a washcloth, honey," Mom said as I did what she said. I heard the water running in the bathroom and went to give her the washcloth. She took it and cleaned off the blood. I stood there.

"Everything will be okay," Mom assured me. I furrowed my brows.

"Dad hurt you," I said.

Mom looked at me as I looked at her. She set the washcloth down and turned off the water; then, she crouched in front of me.

"I know, baby, but I promise to protect you, and that's what I'm doing," Mom explained.

"But he's hurting you," I said.

"Because it's what happens when you protect someone you love. I love you, unconditionally, Dylan. It's you and me against the world. If we have to fight, then we fight, but only to protect the ones that we love. Promise me; you will never hurt anyone intentionally," I said.

"I promise," I replied.

"Never pick up your hand to a woman or hurt someone weaker than you. No matter what the person does, never let them make you mean. You're too good for that," Mom told me.

Even though I was only six, I understood my mom.

"One day, you won't have to protect me because I will protect you," I promised my mom.

She looked at me, surprised. I looked at her with determination.

"It's us against the world," I reminded Mom as I smiled cheekily. Mom smiled.

"Yes, it's us against the world," Mom agreed.

I might not have friends, but I have my first friend, and I'm looking at her, my mom. I hugged her because she needed a hug. I also decided I hated the name, Dylan. It reminds me of bad times. I prefer Frazier. It sounded cooler.

"Can I ask one favor?" I asked Mom.

"What's that?" She asked.

"Can you call me Frazier?" I asked. That surprised Mom.

"I like the name Dylan," Mom said.

"I don't," I said. I got a look from Mom and shrugged.

"I'll make you a deal. I will call you Dylan when it's severe, but Frazier the rest of the time," Mom negotiated.

"Deal," I agreed, grinning. Mom chuckled. I got her to laugh, even better. I decided humor makes everything better, even the difficult times. My jerk of a father didn't have a sense of humor - no wonder why he's miserable.

Something told me this is the beginning of what's to come for me. I didn't realize that truth will come out, setting events into motion. It escalates my hatred of my dad.