A temporary truce

With the Frazier boys running amuck, that made it difficult for Gloria and me to get together. We could be together if Maurice and the others left town. That depended on the other families keeping the Frazier family busy. I didn't have high hopes.

While I was trying to figure out things with Gloria, Mason and Brian met with Hector Santiago, who became a liaison between the Santiago family and other families. Brian became a boss when his father retired. Edward's health took a significant turn, resulting in the lateral movement and changes to how a business conducts.

Brian wanted a truce between Santiago's, Morgan's, and Jones' families. The ceasefire would benefit our family the most, leaving the others to fend for themselves. I would learn this when I entered the family business.

Brian and Mason arrived at a meeting spot with Hector at the Moretti compound. It was a neutral meeting place in Florida. The Moretti family didn't tolerate bullshit and will shoot you dead instead of dealing with you. They had a loyalty like no other. I wouldn't see this loyalty until later on with other people.

Cassius Moretti was sitting at a table when Brian, Mason, and Hector walked up.

"Sit," Cassius ordered as they sat down at the table. A woman walked up with drinks, placing them on the table, then leaving. "I hear you want a truce between your families."

"That's correct," Hector said.

"What about the other families?" Cassius asked, getting to the point.

"The other families are out. They will fight amongst themselves. They prove untrustworthy, " Hector answered.

"And like your family is trustworthy?" Cassius asked, seeing through the bullshit Hector spewed. "Don't lie to me, Hector. Your family will backstab another faster than anyone. Luis is untrustworthy, along with the rest of your family."

"We want to change things," Brian said as Cassius looked at Brian intrigued.

"How so?" Cassius asked.

"Mason agreed to keep his business out of troubled territories, conducting business between my family and the Moretti family without issue. That will allow the Santiago family to control the cartels, leaving Michigan and Florida out. If Luis makes a move, he dies along with his family. The Feds are watching the Mendoza family along with the Garza's," Brian explained.

Cassius looked at Brian and rubbed his chin. The only person who conducted this business move is Edward Morgan, who Cassius did business with in the past.

"Your father advised you on this decision," Cassius said.

"My father is my consigliere since he retired," Brian informed Cassius, leaving out the part of Edward's health taking a turn. Until Brian fully rose to power, Edward is his protection. If Edward dies before that happens, families will go after Brian. This truce would provide Brian with what he needed while offering protection for our family.

It's a move that works in our favor.

Cassius looked at Mason. "Your father was a loyal man and protected people who needed it. He saved many families' parents from harm, earning their loyalty in return. Too bad, their children don't have the same loyalty," Cassius mentioned.

Mason knew loyalty is vital to Cassius, and we are disapproving that fact with the shit we're pulling. If Mason wanted this truce, things had to change in our family.

"My father raised us with the same loyalty. I will carry on his legacy," Mason replied. It was a gamble he was doing.

"Then, I suggest you get your family to fall in line with that concept. I receive a word, your brothers don't understand the concept," Cassius remarked.

Here's what people have to understand about deals like these if you plan on making a truce, don't pick a spot where the person dislikes shady shit. Cassius hated disloyalty in all forms, including cheating in relationships. It proves you untrustworthy.

"My brothers will fall in line when I return," Mason agreed. Okay, my big brother lost his damn mind. Who the hell agrees to keep someone's dick in their pants? Mason does, and it's not his dick he agrees about here.

"Cassius, I understand you expect loyalty, but we aren't here to police our family's relationships. We came here today to conduct a truce between our families with the intention neither of us will attack the other and keep others at bay. We offer protection if that happens," Brian told Cassius.

Cassius looked at all of them, tapping his fingertips on top of the tabletop, deciding how to conduct this truce. His territory is neutral, which meant he had no say with family matters of other families. When a respite conducted, if one member violates the deal, a Moretti would arrive to eliminate the person.

It was a guarantee.

"Fine, the truce shall state that the Jones and Morgan family conducts business without incident staying out territories except for Michigan. The Santiago family stays out of Michigan and Florida. If a violation of this truce happens, I will send Salvatore to clean it up," Cassius said, waving his fingertips to a man close by to Cassius.

The man walked up and stood there.

"This is Salvatore Moretti, my right-hand man, and brother. He cleans up violations for me. We might be in neutral territory, but that doesn't mean I won't eliminate a threat. I suggest you get your affairs in order," Cassius said. It wasn't a threat or warning, but a promise.

Cassius made a call, then a few minutes later, a woman walked out with a piece of paper. She handed it to Cassius along with a pen. Cassius slid the paper across the tabletop along with the pen. Mason, Brian, and Hector signed the truce.

The problem with this truce is it doesn't prevent family members from violating the terms of the ceasefire, which the Santiago's are known to do. The Morgan family would break the truce invading the Florida territories when a member of the Moretti crew went after one of Brian's own and invading the Michigan territory. That would come later.

Right now, I had more significant issues to deal with, such as being with Gloria and keeping the Frazier family busy. That kept me busy while Elliot thought I was an idiot for this.

You throw in that we had Christine living with us, and it made for an exciting dynamic. The problem was while I deal with my relationship with Gloria and plans, Christine gets hit with unsettling news of her own.

Let's say my sister isn't as innocent as the pure driven snow. While Christine enjoys throwing us under the bus, especially me, she finds herself in a predicament. It will drag me into the mess, and unlike my sister, I will help her, and not somewhat out to Mason.