A summer fling

With the Frazier boys preoccupied and school letting out for the summer, I stayed behind at the rental house, taking summer courses. It also gave me a chance to spend time alone with Gloria.

I woke up to the shower running and got out of bed. I walked into the bathroom, opened the shower curtain, and stepped into the tub, closing the curtain. I wrapped my arms around Gloria from behind, pulling her to me as I kissed her neck.

A soft moan escaped her lips as I moved my lips along her neckline. I let my hands roam Gloria's body, feeling the soft, delicate features of her. Maneuvering between her legs, I slid into her effortlessly as a moan escaped her lips.

Gloria held onto me as I thrust into her repeatedly, enjoying her thoroughly. I waited until she found her release before I pulled out and released it into the tub. I hated finishing this way. It was anticlimactic to me, but I didn't bring protection.

Gloria washes up and turns to me as I cleaned myself.

"When we agreed to this, I didn't think we would stay in all the time," Gloria mentioned.

"There's nothing wrong with staying in," I replied with a mischievous look.

Gloria rolled her eyes and shook her head as I chuckled. I rinsed off and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her to me.

"I know you want to go out, but if anyone sees us together, it won't bode well for us," I reminded her.

"I know," Gloria sighed.

I leaned in and kissed her before getting out of the shower. I dried off and went into the bedroom to dress. I know Gloria wanted to go out like an average couple, but people enjoy gossiping. The people here are worse than a gossip columnist.

Don't they have anything better to do with their time than put their nose in someone's business? It was as if I had several Christine's around me. The one quality I disliked in my sister. She would be enjoyable if she dropped that characteristic.

Gloria walked into the bedroom and dressed as I admired her body. Damn, she had a beautiful body.

We finished dressing, then left. Gloria has to work, and I had class. I figure we could play cards tonight.

After class, I had time to kill and went to visit Kate since Gloria is at work. I strolled to the bakery to find it bustling with customers. It was nice to see the business doing well. Customers kept Kate busy, and you can see the enjoyment she got out of it. That made me happy.

I sat at a table, waiting until the place cleared out of customers. Someone placed a cup of a glass of ice tea in front of me, then joined me. I saw Kate sitting there and smiled.

"Busy?" I asked smirking.

Kate arched a brow at me as she shook her head. I chuckled.

"It's a good day when you find your passion, and people enjoy it," Kate commented.

That's what I noticed about my sister. It contented Kate with doing what she loves. Kate enjoyed baking and had no use for the family business. She preferred speaking to people, and this business provided it.

"I'm surprised you stayed this summer," Kate mentioned.

I shrugged. Kate gave me a knowing look. My sister is astute to situations, and she was in tune with mine.

"Carri, I won't lecture you, but if you play with fire, you will get burned," Kate advised me.

Lying to my sister is the worst thing you can do. She sees through bullshit quickly. It never ends well if you do. It's best, to be honest, and suffer the consequences, then lie.

"It's fine, Kate. I'm happy," I said as I sipped my drink.

Kate looked at me, doubtfully.

"There comes a time when you realize that happiness doesn't come from another person, but yourself," she said as I looked at her curiously. I didn't understand what she meant, but I would find out later.

"What about you?" I asked.

Kate looked at me, suspiciously. "What about me?"

"You can't tell me that you're happy alone," I replied, arching a brow.

Kate rolled her eyes. "I don't need a man in my life to make me happy. I'm happy with the bakery. It keeps me busy, and I meet people every day," Kate reasoned.

"I know it devastated you when William died, but I doubt he would enjoy you closing yourself off to love," I mentioned.

"Kate shook her head and sighed. "I didn't close myself off to love, but I don't need to find someone else. That's the difference between others and myself. I enjoyed my time with William, but sometimes things work out as they should."

I looked at Kate when she said that. There was no somber tone or disappointment. She wasn't like most people who give up on love when something doesn't work with another person or the person dies. My sister was secure with being alone because she wasn't lonely.

"William died," I said.

"Because William did what he chose to do with his life. He served in the military, dying what he loved doing. I don't fault William for his choice and supported it. Carri, we make decisions that affect us one way or another. It's if we can live with that choice or not," Kate explained.

My sister wasn't an unreasonable person. She knew our actions could have consequences.

"Don't wake up one day and realize you lost the moon while counting the stars," Kate advised. I looked at, confused. I didn't understand what she meant by that. Gloria was my moon. I wasn't looking for the stars.

I finished my visit with Kate then left. I walked to the coffeehouse, and Kate's words plagued my mind. I didn't understand what she meant because I was missing the concept of it. It wouldn't be until years later that what Kate said made sense to me.

Sometimes it's not the person you think who's the moon, but someone different. That person will show me why sometimes it's best things didn't work out the way they're supposed to do.

********
After we got back to the house, we ate, then played cards. What did we play? A game of Old Maid. I kept sticking Gloria with the old maid and pissed her off.

"Knock it off, Carri!" Gloria huffed as I chuckled.

"I can't help it if you're terrible at this game," I teased.

Gloria glared at me.

"It's a kid's game. You should know how to play it," I reasoned.

"Yeah, if you didn't cheat," she accused me.

I feigned offense to her accusation. "I'm offended," I replied, acting hurt. "I don't cheat." Gloria looked at me strangely as I thought about it. "Ignore that," I added as she giggled.

That's irony if I ever heard it.

I set the cards down and crawled over to Gloria, then captured her lips with mine. Our kissing turned passionate as we lost our clothes. I put on protection and made love to her on the living room floor. Most people don't consider that romantic, but when in Rome.

Any time I can make love to Gloria, I did. We were like two jackrabbits going at it everywhere. We couldn't get enough of each other, and it showed. I knew one day, we would return to our rendezvous at the motel when Christine and Elliot showed up.

Joseph graduated this year, so he wasn't returning. He obtained a computer degree and began doing things with computers that he shouldn't do. My family's crimes didn't stay in one area; they expanded. If Joseph didn't end up in the slammer for his dirty deeds, it would surprise me.

My family isn't innocent at all, and I fell into that category along with them. The big problem was my crime resulted in the most significant way, leaving me with a present. I wouldn't find out until later what that gift is, but it would change everything.