Falling

I got up, ready, and went to class. I planned on stopping by the coffee shop after class to see Gloria. After quality was over, I walked to the coffeehouse, whistling. I was in a good mood, but nothing new there. That was until I saw Gloria after entering and making my way to the counter.

"I'll be right with you," she said as I stood there, smiling. "What can I get you?" She said as she turned to face me. That's when I saw it. She had a bruise on her cheek. My brows furrowed. "Hi, Carri," she greeted me happily.

"Hi, Gloria," I greeted her back. I studied the bruise but didn't say anything. I didn't want to draw attention to it. I'll ask later. "A coffee please," I ordered.

"One coffee coming up," she announced as she went to get my coffee. I wondered about that bruise. It wasn't there yesterday.

Gloria returned with the coffee, and I paid for it. I offered a genuine smile, which she returned. I think she needed that smile today. I left the coffee shop, and after I was out of view, I dumped out my coffee. Later on, I would return and talk to her.

I had two more classes, then, later on, I returned to the coffee shop. Gloria was cleaning up, and I tapped on the window. She walked over and let me in, then locked the door.

"Did you need something?" She asked.

"I don't want to sound intrusive, but I couldn't help to notice the bruise on your cheek," I mentioned, pointing to her cheek.

She put her hand on her cheek. "Oh, that's nothing. I ran into a door in the middle of the night. I'm such a klutz," Gloria lied. I knew it was a lie but didn't want to press her about it.

"So, are you closing up?" I asked casually.

"Yep, then I can go home. My feet are killing me, but the bills won't pay themselves," Gloria reasoned as she smiled.

"Do you mind if I keep you company?" I asked.

She looked at me, curiously.

"Sometimes, it's nice to have someone around to talk to when you're alone," I mentioned as she gave me a small smile.

"Okay, you can talk while I finish my work," Gloria agreed as I sat at a table. She worked while I talked about things that caused her to laugh. Gloria had a beautiful laugh. Every time she smiled, her dimples showed.

I spent most of the time speaking while she worked. Gloria answered briefly, but I didn't mind. I knew she was busy and wanting to get home. Gloria finished up, and I walked her out, then to her car. I waited until she drove away as I felt an ache in my chest.

I met this woman yesterday, and Gloria's the one person who captivated me with her personality. I didn't care if I dumped out my coffee, if that meant seeing her, I would continue to dump it.

********
Over the next few months, I would go to the coffeehouse and order a coffee, then dump it out. I would return later and spend time with Gloria while she worked. She told me things about herself, and I spoke of things about myself.

We would joke and laugh, which was terrific. I didn't care if Gloria worked in a coffeehouse. I enjoyed spending time with her. The conversations were natural and real. I didn't have to pretend to be someone I'm not, and I didn't judge her.

The truth was, I was falling for her. We hadn't gone on a first date yet, but I was falling in love with her. How can you fall for someone you known a short time? I didn't know. All I knew is that Gloria made me happy.

I enjoyed spending time with her while she cleaned up at work and even helped her from time to time. One night I took a chance and decided to show her I felt. Hopefully, it didn't blow up in my face.

While Gloria was sweeping the floor, I put on some music from the jukebox that sat in the corner of the coffeehouse. I picked a song I knew she would like; then I walked over to her. I held out my hand to her as she stopped sweeping.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"I'd like to dance with you if you don't mind?" I replied.

"I need to finish," she started to say.

"One dance. Dance with me," I said as Gloria nodded. She leaned the broom against the counter, then walked over to me as she placed her hand in mine.

I pulled Gloria to me and held her in my arms as we danced. I never felt this way about anyone, the idea that I think about Gloria. I held her close as we moved around the floor. She laid her head on my shoulder as I placed my hand on her lower back.

Something told me that no one held Gloria like this, but I did now. As we moved back and forth, I looked at her as she looked at me. My emerald green eyes met her chocolate brown eyes. I took a chance, leaning down and pressing my lips to hers.

The kiss started gently, then I deepened it, releasing Gloria's hand, wrapping my arms around her waist. I pulled her to me as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I poured everything into that kiss as she kissed me back.

Gloria broke from the kiss and me. I stood there, confused. She turned her back to me.

"Gloria," I said.

She turned to face me. "I can't do this, Carri," she told me.

"What?" I asked, looking at her, confused.

"I'm married," Gloria confessed as I looked at her, stunned. "I didn't think anything was happening between us until you kissed me."

"But you kissed me," I said. Gloria looked at me, furrowed brows. I walked towards her. "Does he make you happy?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter. I can be your friend, but I can't be anything more. I'm sorry," Gloria told me. I nodded in agreement. "If you don't want to be friends, I understand."

Gloria looked at me as I looked into her eyes. I saw something that I didn't before with her, hope.

"Okay, we'll be friends," I lied as I smiled reassuringly at her.

"We'll forget about the kiss," Gloria said as I nodded. She went over to the counter and grabbed the broom. I stayed as she finished her work.

After she finished, I walked her to her car. I watched as she drove off into the distance. I placed my fingertips to my lips and smiled.

I didn't care if Gloria is married; I wanted to be a part of her life. One way or another, I would remain in her life. I had a feeling it would meet me with interference from others.

It looks like Carrington is falling hard for Gloria, and she denies her feelings. We all knows how this turns out at one point.

Plus, we have a matter of the family when they find out. That's all I'm saying.