Stubbornness at it's best

I took what Mason and the others said into consideration, staying away from Gloria, but it didn't mean I didn't check on her. I worried about her, and my heart ached for her. It longed to be with her, and my family didn't understand that.

A month passed, and I thought whatever feelings I had would dissolve, but they didn't. I can't disappear from someone like Gloria without an explanation. It wasn't right. I visited her one night at closing time.

I tapped on the window, and Gloria saw me. She walked over to the door, unlocking it. I entered, and she locked the door again.

"Carri," Gloria said, surprised to see me.

"Hi, Gloria," I greeted her.

"Is everything okay? I didn't see you for a month and figured you got busy with classes," Gloria mentioned. I watched her as she became anxious.

"I wasn't busy with classes," I replied, trying to sound distant.

"Oh," she said as she furrowed her brows.

"I came to see you and explain that we can't spend time together anymore," I said. I watched Gloria's expression changed to sadness. "I thought if I stayed away, it would be easier."

"I see," she whispered as she tried not to cry.

"I don't want to cause issues with you and your husband. Plus, the more I'm around you, the harder it is to want more from you," I reasoned, trying to maintain my composure.

"I understand," Gloria whispered. I hear the disappointment in her voice. "It's that I don't have anyone in my life that cares about me."

I looked at her with empathy.

"You're the first person who offered genuine friendship to me. It was nice, but I understand," Gloria said as a tear fell down her cheek. She brushed it away quickly. "Thank you for letting me know. I have to get back to work."

Gloria turned and walked over to the broom and swept the floor as I heard her sob silently. I turned and walked to the door, but stopped. If I leave now, I may lose a chance, but if I stay, it can be disastrous.

I heard Gloria sniffled as I made a decision. I turned around and said, "I don't want to leave."

She stopped and looked at me with tear-streaked cheeks.

"But I don't want to be your friend either," I admitted as I strolled towards her. "I can't be your friend anymore. It's too difficult."

Gloria furrowed her brows.

I made my way to her and reached up, placing my palm on her cheek. I caressed her cheek with my thumb.

"I don't want to be just friends. I want more from you. I don't care if you're married," I said.

"Carri," Gloria started to say.

"Gloria, if I didn't feel anything for you, friendship would be okay, but I can't, knowing how my heart aches for you. I can't stand you leaving here, returning to a man that doesn't deserve you. I can love you the way you need it if you let me. Please," I pleaded with her. I was pouring my heart to her, hoping she would accept.

Gloria looked at me with a longing, and at that moment, I took my chance. I leaned in and kissed her. She didn't resist my kiss and kissed me back. I moved my hand from her cheek and wrapped my arms around her. She wrapped her arms around my neck as she kissed me.

I didn't care if she's married or what my family thought. I can't deny my feelings any longer, and neither could she.

*******
Gloria looked up the coffee house, and we got into her car. I drove to a motel outside of town and went into the office. I paid for a room, then returned to the car. I pulled around, and we got out, going into a motel room.