Freedom

My relationship with Gloria was going well, and I couldn't be happier. When Joseph and Christine questioned me about my upbeat mood, I told them I'm always excited. They were suspicious, but I ignored them. My siblings need a life and stay out of mine.

Most people would disagree with my choices in life, but it's not their life. That's the problem with people; they have some opinions about something, including my family. Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one.

The best part is Maurice left for a month, which gave Gloria and my time alone. I couldn't wait for the summer to spend time with her without prying eyes, namely Joseph and Christine.

I made plans for the weekend to take Gloria somewhere where no one knew either of us. I wanted the freedom of not hiding our relationship.

We drove up to the UP, where I rented a small cottage, and we could see the sights. I wasn't planning on a freaking blizzard to hit. Freaking-Michigan weather. Mother Nature needs to take her meds and stop her nonsense.

We trudged through the snow with zero visibility and made it inside the cottage. Gloria looked at me and laughed, considering I looked like the abominable snowman.

"Cute," I said as I rolled my eyes, shaking off the snow. Gloria giggled. "I'm going to get a fire started if you want to make us something to eat."

"Okay," she snickered as she removed her coat and boots, then went into the kitchen.

While Gloria cooked, I got the fire started. Thanks to Joseph, the hippy that he is, he took us camping and taught us the basics. Once the fire was roaring, I went into the kitchen to help Gloria.

"Where did you learn how to make a fire?" She asked, stirring hamburger on the stove.

"My hippy brother loves to commune with nature. Joseph is always dragging Elliot and me camping. Elliot enjoys hunting, considering he likes to throw knives at us," I said as her eyes widened. "I'm sure my baby brother inherited the psycho gene from some distant family member." That surprised Gloria.

Once the meat browned, she added in spaghetti sauce, and I placed a pan of water on the burner, cranking the heat to boil.

"What are your siblings like?" Gloria inquired.

"Well, Mason is the oldest and father figure, trying to keep us in line. Kate is reasonable and no-nonsense. Charles, who you met, makes poor life choices and is an idiot. Theresa is down to earth and enjoys humor. Joseph loves to commune with nature and the resident hippy. Christine is uptight and likes to snitch on people. Then, you have Elliot, who's psychotic and hates stupid people," I explained.

The water boiled, and I added some oil, then the pasta to the pot.

"It must be interesting growing up with so many brothers and sisters," Gloria mentioned.

"It has its moments, but they're my family," I reasoned. Gloria smiled at me. I loved this time with her. It wasn't about sex with her; it was more. I had a connection to her in a way that I didn't have with anyone.

After the timer went off, I drained the pasta, and Gloria turned off the stove. We dished out the food onto plates, then sat down at the table. It felt normal to eat dinner with her. We talked about everything and anything; then she dropped a bomb on me.

"Maurice wants to start a family when he returns," Gloria said as I stopped eating and looked at her.

"And what did you say?" I asked, feeling annoyed.

"I said sure," she admitted as I felt the anger build. "But it won't happen. Maurice drinks and will pass out before he can do anything," she assured me.