A special delivery

Gloria

Maurice left for a couple of months, and now it was the end of February. I woke to cramps and used the bathroom. My water broke, and I tried calling people to help me. No one bothered, so I called an ambulance.

The paramedics arrived, taking me to the hospital. The labor was difficult, but I delivered a boy. The doctor placed my son in my arms, and I cried. He's beautiful.

I stayed in my hospital room for two days without visitors. I spent time with Dylan. I had someone that loves me finally. I wasn't alone anymore.

The hospital released me, and I called a cab to take me home with Dylan. Since I didn't bring a car seat with me, I held Dylan in my arms. The cab driver dropped us at my house. I took Dylan inside and got situated.

Maurice came home to find us waiting. He looked at the baby and shrugged. I didn't expect more from Maurice. I took care of Dylan alone since Maurice didn't bother to help me. The only time Maurice acted like the doting father is when we were around his family. It didn't matter because Dylan was vital to me.

I picked Dylan up and rocked him in the rocking chair as I fed him.

"I know it doesn't seem as if anyone cares about you, but I do. You're important to me. I don't want you to turn out like Maurice's family. I will raise you properly. I want you to have a kind heart," I said as Dylan drank his bottle.

"See, we have choices in life, and those choices can be good or bad. I made poor decisions, but you aren't one of them. One day, I hope you understand my decision. I love you, Dylan," I said as I cradled Dylan.

Something told me one day; I will know why Dylan is significant in my life. No matter what, I will love him until my last breath.

********
Since Dylan's birth, I watched my son grow and do things early. He reaches his milestones earlier than most kids. I read books and kept track of each thing Dylan did. Not even Maurice's family's kids hit their milestones when it happened. It boggles my mind.

Then, I noticed while taking care of Dylan, Maurice started drinking again. Maurice would come home drunk and pass out in a chair as Dylan played admits empty cans. I kept making sure the house was picked up to keep Dylan from getting a hold of the empty beer cans.

All I can do is look out for Dylan even when Maurice went on his rampage. Dylan started teething, making him fussy. Maurice got irritated and went after Dylan. I stepped in front of Dylan, taking the abuse. No one is touching Dylan if I can help it.

When Maurice sobered up, he apologizes profusely. I didn't want to hear his apologies. I had to protect Dylan. Dylan didn't deserve Maurice's drunken behavior.

All I can do is take the hits, protecting Dylan, even if it killed me. One day, Maurice came home, flying into a rage, going after Dylan. I stepped in, enduring the wrath, hiding Dylan. Maurice finished his assault and left.

I laid on the floor, bloody as Dylan came out of his hiding place. He waddled over to me.

"Mama," Dylan said, shaking me.

I groaned as I propped myself up.

"Booboo," Dylan said, pointing at me.

"I'm okay," I said, sitting up. I pulled Dylan on my lap, hugging him. Dylan hugged me back. "Any time that this happens, you go to your hiding spot." Dylan nodded as I held him.

If I left, Mateo will find and kill us. I didn't want to think about it. I looked at Dylan as he looked at me, then I saw his eyes. That's when I realized who Dylan's father is.

******
Nikita and I settled into marriage nicely. She got a job at the hospital while I worked with my brothers. We bought a house close to my brothers. It wasn't fancy and suited us.

We visited Charles's twins since Nikita adored children. Even though we couldn't have our own, we settled for spending time with the kids.

My family grew fond of Nikita when we got together. She played with the kids, giving the parents a break.

"I must admit, we thought you lost your mind getting married," Theresa mentioned.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because who would marry your stupid ass," Christine commented as I gave her a look. The others laughed. My family is something else.

"Let's play a game," Nikita mentioned to the kids as they screamed. Great, there goes my eardrums.

"Nikita's great with the children. One day she'll make a fantastic mother," Christine mentioned as I turned and walked away. My family looked at each other.

I leaned my backside against the counter in the kitchen as I rubbed my eyes.

"Carri?" I heard Mason say. "Are you okay?" He asked as I lowered my hand and leaned on the countertop.

"Yeah," I answered, looking down.

Mason walked over to me and stood next to me.

"Nikita can't have children," I mentioned, surprising Mason. I won't go into details, but she informed me the night we got married."

Mason stood there quietly.

"I always wanted a family, but sometimes loving someone means sacrificing other things," I reasoned.

"And sometimes it doesn't always destine us to have children," Mason mentioned.

I stood there as I felt something touch my leg. I looked down to see Ryan grabbing my pant leg. He reached up, and I didn't hesitate to pick him up. Ryan looked at me with his chocolate brown eyes. He is the spitting image of Charles, whereas Elena favored Maggie.

"I'm learning that. If I can't have kids with Nikita, I'm okay with that. Plus, I know how hard it is on Nikita. Nikita thinks she disappointed me, not giving me a child, but she didn't," I reasoned as I held Ryan.

"Maybe one day, you will have a child," Mason mentioned.

I looked at Mason as he looked at me with empathy. The weird part of our conversation is a nagging feeling I had for months. I didn't tell anyone that I had this feeling, not even Nikita. I figure it was nothing. I also had a feeling one day I will find out how wrong I was to ignore how I felt.

*******
Gloria

I cleaned up and looked in the mirror. I look like hell and felt like it. I felt a tug on my pant leg. Looking down, I saw Dylan holding onto me.

I picked up Dylan and looked at him. God, he looked like his father in every way. I didn't need a paternity test to know who Dylan's father is. I set Dylan on the countertop in the bathroom.

"I know you don't understand what I will tell you, but I hope you will later. Maurice isn't your father, but people think he is. To protect you, I have to pretend. Forgive me, Dylan," I said as Dylan held out his arms. I hugged him as he hugged me back.

One day, this life will end, and Dylan will be safe. All I can do is find a way to make that happen. I had a feeling I will hear something, devastating me, leaving me to stay in my situation. It's news that will seal my fate.