Time

I didn't see Gloria for the past two weeks. She didn't work any of those days. I didn't understand what was going on with her, but I had a feeling it had something to do with Maurice. I prayed I was wrong.

I went about my business, attending classes. I'm not going to lie; I missed Gloria terribly. It felt as if a piece of me was missing.

One day, I came walking out of a bookstore, not paying attention as I flipped through a book when someone said something.

"Carri?"

I looked up to see Gloria standing there. It was a pleasant surprise, making my heart flutter.

"Gloria," I said as she smiled. "How are you feeling?" I asked anxiously.

"I'm feeling better. You know how pesky colds can be," Gloria mentioned as I looked at her. Then I remembered what her note said.

"I got your note," I mentioned.

"I'm sorry it was short, but things were a little crazy," Gloria said.

"I'm guessing this has to do with Maurice?" I questioned.

By Gloria's expression, it confirms my suspicions.

"I know that you have to deal with Maurice, and I don't want to make you choose," I reasoned.

"It's not that," Gloria said with furrowed brows

"I can ask, but you won't tell me. You wanted to cool it, so we'll put the brakes on it," I said.

Gloria looked at me with sadness. I didn't know what else to say, so I walked away from her. My heart wanted her, but my head said it wasn't worth the hassle.

I returned and went inside the house. I decided to do some reading as I went up to my room. It was the thing that kept my mind off of Gloria, that and time. What else am I going to do with my time? Do you have to ask?

Joseph came home to find me watching American Pie. I was laughing hysterically when the apple pie part came on the screen.

"What in God's name is that guy doing to that poor pie?" Joseph asked, sitting down, confused.

"Testing the waters," I answered, chuckling.

Christine walked into the house with Troy.

"What in the world are you watching?" Christine asked me.

"American Pie," Troy said. Christine looked at Troy incredulously as he sat down and watched the movie. We sat there rolling as we watched. Christine rolled her eyes.

My sister has no sense of humor. She went upstairs, then screamed as she came flying back down the stairs. Troy and Joseph looked at her, confused.

"Spider," Christine managed to say.

Troy stood up and rushed to her side like the dutiful boyfriend he is. I'm messing with you; he sat in the chair as most guys do. What guy do you know comforts his significant other when the person screams like a raging lunatic? Plus, Christine was overdramatic.

Christine looked at Troy. "Aren't you going to do something?" She asked.

Troy sighed and went upstairs.

Wham!

We watched him come downstairs and sit down in the chair.

"Spider's dead," Troy said as he went back to watching the movie.

Christine loudly groans as she went upstairs.

"Shouldn't you attend to your girl?" Joseph asked Troy.