Choices

Gloria

We all make choices in our lives. Some decisions are right, and some are bad. I didn't need Maurice knowing about Carri or Mateo telling him, even though Mateo didn't know about Carri.

I know Carri is returning today, but I couldn't let him see me in my current state. I wrote a note, dropping it off at his place before returning. Maurice would be passed out still from last night. I made sure to be back before he woke.

Standing at the stove, I cooked breakfast, feeling numb. My face swelled, and I wasn't sure if my nose is broke. Hearing that familiar sound, I stared at the pan on the stove.

"Morning, Gloria," Maurice groaned as he walked towards me. He kissed my cheek as I stood there, emotionless. "Baby, you know I don't like getting angry with you," I said nothing. "I expect the house cleaned today when I return."

I turned off the stove and dished food onto a plate, handing it to him. Maurice took the plate from me, then sat down at the table. I refused to cry, giving him the satisfaction of my tears. He didn't deserve my tears.

Staring out the kitchen window, Maurice ate his breakfast and rambled on about things that I didn't care about hearing. I threw in a word here and there, not bothering to engage in a conversation. He got up, put his empty plate in the sink, then went to take a shower.

I cleaned up the kitchen, hearing Maurice's footsteps, then the front door. Once it closed, I cried. I wanted Carri. I wanted him to hold me and tell me everything will be okay. One day, he will.

******
We returned, and I found an envelope attached to the front door with my name on it. I took it, shoving it into my pocket.

"What's that?" Joseph asked.

"It's probably a note from a classmate about an assignment I missed while we were gone. I'll read it later," I answered.

We went inside, and I went upstairs. After setting my bag down, I opened the envelope.

Carri

Let's cool it for a while. I know you were hoping to see me tonight, but there are some things I need to take care of here. I don't want to drag you into any issues.

Once I handle things, we will meet. Please understand.

Love
Gloria

I looked at the note, perplexed. I didn't know where she lived to speak with her, so I decided to visit her at work tomorrow. I folded the letter, putting it away.

Hopefully, everything is okay.

*******
Gloria

I phoned work, explaining I was sick. My boss told me to call when I felt better. Until the swelling went down and the bruises faded, I couldn't let anyone see me. I didn't need questions.

I cleaned the house from top to bottom as I face throbbed. It took me all day, but I managed to finish. I waited for Maurice to come home, and he did, drunk.

He stumbled to the recliner, plopping down and passing out. I went up to take a bath. After filling the tub, I climbed in and laid back. I sat there, thinking about everything.

People say if you're not happy, don't cheat, leave. If your spouse hits you, go. Everyone thinks it's simple when it's not. It's not when someone threatens your life.

Out of the Frazier family, Mateo frightened me the most. Maurice has a temper, Mateo is the type who keeps his word. He has the personality of a rattlesnake.

Tears fell down my cheeks as I felt my happiness slipping from my grasp. Carri made me happy, and someone wanted to rip it from me. When I was with him, I felt alive and not existing. I laughed more. Now, I thought it is disappearing.

I got out of the tub, dried off, then put on some clothes. Walking into the bedroom, I crawled into bed, curling up into a fetal position. I cried myself to sleep.

********
After class the next day, I went to the coffee shop to see Gloria. I walked in, not seeing her. I stood in line until I reached the counter.

"Can I help you?" An employee asked.

"Is Gloria working?" I inquired.

"No, Gloria called and said she was sick," the person answered. That surprised me.

"Do you know how long she'll be out?" I asked.

The person shrugged. I didn't ask any more questions as I ordered a beverage so that I didn't draw attention to myself. As I stood there, someone said, "Look, what we have here?"

My left eye twitched, knowing that voice. The employee handed my drink to me as I paid for it. I turned to see Marco and his idiot cronies standing there.

They walked over to me.

"It's surprising seeing you in here when you don't drink coffee," Marco mentioned.

"Because it's hot cocoa, which you would know, considering this place serves many beverages," I retorted, taking a sip of my drink.

"Do you expect me to believe that?" Marco asked.

"I don't give a shit what you expect. I don't answer to your stupid ass," I remarked with annoyance. Marco glared at me. "Typical Frazier boy, who doesn't use his brain. Oh, wait, you don't have one."

Marco got into my face as I looked at him. I could easily wipe the floor with him, as I did so many times prior.

"Well, well, well, Marco Frazier," someone said as we turned to see Brian Morgan enter the coffee house with a couple of people that I didn't recognize.

Marco looked at Brian as they walked towards us.

"Morgan, this has nothing to do with you," Marco said.

"That's where you're wrong. It has everything to do with me, considering your family intercepts goods belonging to my family. My old man sent me to collect belongs to us. You remember him?" Brian said, leaning towards Marco. "A boss that your family pissed off."

Brian leaned back and smiled. Marco hightailed it out of there as we watched him run out of the coffeehouse. I find it hilarious to watch a Frazier boy trip over himself. I chuckled and looked at Brian.

"I'm sure that it will interest Mason about this new development," I mentioned.

"It would if there was a new development, but there isn't one. I enjoy watching the Frazier family squirm," Brian chuckled.

I shook my head as we left the coffeehouse.

"I'm guessing you don't come here for the coffee," Brian mentioned as I looked at him suspiciously. "Relax, Carri, I'm not getting in the middle of a family business. It's not my place, but I will warn you these things never end well for anyone."

I looked at Brian. We were around the same age. Brian isn't the poster child for good behavior.

"Be careful," he warned me as I looked at him with seriousness. "The truth has a way of rearing its ugly head."

Brian walked away with his friends or associates. You can't tell with that family. I know people think I should end this relationship with Gloria, but I love her. When I got a chance, I would talk to her. Something was going on with her, and I would find out.