EPILOGUE: our life together has just begun

title quote by: unknown

When Taehyung was young, an alpha who'd barely grown into his scent, his mother sat him down for a talk. Her body had been failing her recently and Tae had frowned as she settled down by him on the front steps of their family home. Her frail hands reached out to encompass his own and he held back an instinctual flinch. His visions had come with increasing frequency since his presentation and any contact simply sparked a fear of another.

"Sunflower," she started softly and Taehyung couldn't help but smile at the familiar nickname, "I wanted to talk to you about something." Something in her voice made him pause and nod slowly, confused by the solemn look on her face.

"Of course." He said simply.

She stared at him for a moment, her dark eyes trailed over his face as she seemed to collect her thoughts. Her pitch black hair was pulled together at the base of her neck, laid prettily over her shoulder. Many times Taehyung had wished had hadn't inherited the curse of his family in favor of her dark eyes, her dark hair. Her normality.

"As an alpha it's your duty to continue your line," she began suddenly and Taehyung blinked in surprise, "however we are both aware your circumstance makes that...difficult." The curse, he thought, it always came down to the curse. They didn't need to talk about it, they were both too familiar with it. By the look of the thinness of her skin and how delicately she carried herself they all knew she didn't have much time left. "I want you to promise me something, flower." She gripped his hands a little firmer and he nodded without hesitation.

"Anything."

"I want you to mate for love, flower. I want you to mate who your soul leads you to. I don't want you to worry about, about pack treaties or land disputes." She shook her head. "I want you to let the moon guide you to your mate, Taehyung. I want you to love ." The passion in her voice and in her eyes made Taehyung's lips part in surprise. "Can you do that for me, sunflower?"

Taehyung had been a little stunned by the conversation but had agreed anyway. It had struck him as odd that she would have brought it up but he hadn't questioned it, not when every moment with his mother was precious with their limited time. The time they'd already been granted had been nearly a decade longer than any Luna previous, something their Alpha had been vocally thankful for, for years.

Nearly 15 years after that conversation, Taehyung thanked her.

"Darling, please, let Jun do his job."

Taehyung watched amusedly as his mate pouted from their bed, arms crossed over his uncovered chest. Old, dirty bandages lay in a pile by his legs and Junmyeon huffed out a laugh before he leaned back in to clean the stitches.

The alpha watched closely as the beta was quick and methodical, each movement with just enough pressure to sanitize the healing wound but not enough to aggravate. Even nearly a month later, even with their accelerated healing, Jungkook still felt fairly moderate pain throughout his body. It was torture to see his love in pain, to not only feel his own suffering as his own but know that Taehyung could do absoutely nothing to take it away.

"Alright, everything is healing beautifully," Junmyeon suddenly spoke up and they both looked up at the doctor. He went on to explain some small exercises for the omega to do, and Taehyung made sure to take a mental note of every little thing that he said. He didn't want Jungkook to feel a lick of pain, not after everything they had gone through.

Not after everything Taehyung had put him through.

"Other than that, you seem to be doing great, and baby is doing well." The doctor finished with a gentle smile that the mated pair returned gratefully. "I'll be back next week, but if there's any issues please call me immediately." He packed his things and with a final bow to the Alpha and his Luna he stepped out of their bedroom with a final wave.