8. sometimes goodbye is a second chance

title quote by: unknown

The morning after their heart to heart at the piano, there was a man in the front yard.

Jungkook had only glanced out the window on a whim, just to see how the light peeked through the leaves, and almost immediately spotted the figure in the tree line. His heart jumped to his throat and a primal spike of fear shot through his body. He didn't know that man, didn't know if he was human or wolf or something else; His body dropped into a crouch on pure instinct and his knees smacked the cold floor before he pressed himself flat against the wall. There was no way for him to see if the man had noticed him or if he was even aware of his presence in the first place but he pulled his knees tightly to his chest anyway, as if it would help.

He'd only just slipped out of bed to start coffee, maybe even make breakfast if he'd felt up to it once he had caffeine in his system. They'd fallen into bed together late last night, and the alpha had wanted to refresh his mark on his omega. The bruises had started to fade because they'd gotten so busy so quickly but Taehyung had whispered assurances that Jungkook hadn't known he'd needed. That he was still his, that they were a team, that Taehyung would never let him go unmarked again.

Taehyung had still been buried in the sheets when he's woken up and he'd done his best to make sure the alpha stayed asleep as he slipped out of the room. It wasn't hard to see just how much work the alpha was putting into Bangtan, into making everything work.

"Darling, what's wrong?" The groggy voice cut through the fog in his head almost instantly and his head snapped up to lock onto the tall figure that ambled past the kitchen. His pulse was rapid and he could almost hear the blood rushing to his head as he sat and panicked . The confusion and worry in his voice made Jungkook's chest tighten but his own voice caught in his throat. He couldn't move, couldn't form a thought beyond hide, hide, hide and his nails dug into his arms as he pulled his knees in tighter. "Kook?" The alpha yawned but almost immediately froze when he finally registered his still form tucked under the picture window.

He made a move to hurry closer but Jungkook found a burst of manic energy and he threw his hands up. "Don't! Someone- outside!" He choked out and Taehyung's eyes narrowed before they trailed up and over the top of his head. He could see the exact moment he found who he was referring to as his face hardened into a cross between fury and confusion, his eyes wide but his lips pursed and his jaw clenched tightly. However, his attention zipped back to Jungkook and he quietly stepped closer and kneeled down in front of him. "No, no-." Jungkook didn't want Taehyung to come closer, didn't want the alpha to be spotted by the stranger outside. Hide, hide, hide- .

Taehyung kept his movements slow and deliberate as he reached out to curl an arm around his shoulders. "He already knows we're in here, darling." He murmured as he gently pulled him in to his chest. "Our scent is soaked into the house, any trained wolf can smell us for miles." His hands were a solid weight as he pressed a palm between his shoulder blades and Jungkook let out a shuddering breath into his shoulder. "Calm down, Kook, it's okay." It was most certainly not okay, but Jungkook let the comment slide.

"I'm sorry." He finally said when he'd gotten his breath back under control. What had only been minutes felt like hours as he took in a deep breath of Taehyung's scent. "I don't know why I freaked out so bad." Which, wasn't entirely true. He'd spent months so close to Taehyung every hour of the day he'd forgotten just how badly  the sight of other wolves frightened him. When he was around strangers he had Taehyung within reach, or any of the inner circle, and the anxiety just...melted away around them. "Is he...do you know him?" He risked a glance up at the alpha with a whisper. "Tae?" Taehyung tightened his grip but he didn't speak. "No lies." He reminded him quietly.