4. maybe nothing's so unfunny as an omen read wrong

title quote by: michael herr

"I know it's only been a few days since your talk with Taehyung but you look like shit, kid." Jungkook had been quick to pick up on that Yoongi was a man who didn't give two shits about anyone other than his mate, and he was probably the bluntest person he had ever met in his life. A trait he wholeheartedly appreciated, normally. Except 'normally' didn't include pining after a man he'd met twice but felt like he'd known for lifetimes.

"Gee, thanks hyung, I really appreciate it." It was the truth though, no matter how much Jungkook tried to hide it. After he'd talked with the alpha that night and he'd left for his house in the woods, Jungkook hadn't slept well. He hadn't had an appetite and could barely make it to work on time, he eventually told his boss he'd run into some family trouble and he'd need to take a leave. It felt like a loss of independence but he couldn't deny that the grin Seokjin had given him when he told him had made him feel warm on the inside.

"You know," Jimin interrupted. "Me and Yoongi had this issue right after we mated. He couldn't even leave to go on patrols because I would go almost catatonic without him."

Jungkook scoffed and rubbed his face. "First of all, it's 'Yoongi and I', and second of all Taehyung and I aren't mated, so that's out of the question." Yoongi snorted and the smaller omega reached out to smack his mate in the arm.

"Not really. Unless you were-."

"Yoongi!" Jimin hissed; the alpha's mouth snapped shut but Jungkook caught the strange look on Jimin's face and he sat up straighter.

"Wait, what were you going to say? Unless I was what?" Silence followed and he scowled and smacked the table. "Don't hold out on me! What were you going to say?" The couple looked shocked at his outburst but he growled. "Whatever you're keeping from me, I deserve to know."

It took a moment as the mated pair made faces at each other before the alpha finally sighed and rolled his eyes. "There's this old folktale about mates who were connected before they actually mated." He leaned back in his chair and sighed again. "Wolves who were able to feel each other without touching.The story has been around for years, but no one has ever really come out and confirmed if it's a thing that actually happens?"

"People generally just refer to them as 'True Mates'." Jimin piped in, there was a faraway look in his eyes as he stared at the blonde alpha.

Jungkook couldn't help it and he let out a loud chuckle and threw his head back even though the other two didn't join in. "You think we're soulmates?" The idea was extremely far fetched, and so much like one of the stories his brother would tell him when he was little that he almost felt nostalgic.

"You don't ?" Yoongi scoffed. "Kid, I know you've only been here for a couple weeks, but you have to see that everyone else is as shocked by everything as you are."

That made Jungkook pause, the frown on his face was almost automatic at this point. "What do you mean?"

"Before he carried you here we hadn't seen Tae in nearly six months; we've already seen more of him in the last three weeks than we have in the last year." Jimin shrugged and leaned into Yoongi's shoulder. "He supports and protects us, financially and physically, but he doesn't stick around. You're really something else, Jungkook." The omega was quiet for a moment as he looked down at his lap and his fingers fiddled with a small piece of fuzz while he rolled that over in his mind. "It's like something out of a fairy tale." Jungkook startled at the mention of fairy tales, and his mind rolled over the talk with the alpha several nights before. The story about his family, and the so-called curse he carried. It was so out there but there was no denying the heavy weight in his chest from the alpha's absence. There was no denying the physical reminders either, like his appetite and his sleep schedule.