13. freedom is the power to choose our own chains

title quote by: jean-jacques rousseau

It was like the arrival of the beta pushed Taehyung into overdrive.

He had let Moonbyul run back to the Sun Pack when it became obvious she hadn't had anything left to say. Then as soon as she was gone and out of earshot he had turned to each of them and laid down a semblance of a game plan. Seokjin was to contact any pack that would be willing to support Taehyung during the Challenge. After Taehyung's absence in power for so long it was more than just public support, they needed allies in case things went south.

Taehyung put Yoongi fully in charge of the border, as both his Second and as a guard, and that left Hoseok to do what he was actually meant to do- he had the alpha take Jongin and search for Baekhyun. Between the beta's knowledge of his hideouts and the alpha's ability to find just about anything they were the best fit for it. After the attack on their Luna Taehyung said he wouldn't take any chances, and by the dark look in his eyes Jungkook knew he truly meant it.

It took days before there was any headway from any of them, unfortunately. Seokjin still had the restaurant to work with and Yoongi had the pack's training in his hands now. Hoseok spent most his time out in the city with an ear to the ground, and even Jimin found himself busy just with helping out around the compound. Jungkook wanted to help but with his heat on the horizon Taehyung didn't want to take any chances.

The omega woke up the day after the beta left with a strange tingle under his skin and a pressure in his gut. It only got stronger and stronger as the hours passed but he tried to busy himself with the kitchens and helping Taehyung in his office. The Alpha had tried to get him to take it easy at home but he felt awful being the only one with nothing to do. His injuries had left only dark pink scars and they barely bothered him but it seemed like everyone had made it their job to keep him from exerting himself.

As the next several days passed the pressure in his stomach only got worse and the tingle grew into an itch he couldn't scratch..

"Hey, Kookie, are you okay?" Taehyung broke through his thoughts one day and Jungkook's head jerked up in surprise."You look like you're in pain." The alpha frowned and held his hand out. "You've been off for a couple days." He has been so focused on reading through one of the documents Taehyung had passed him a while ago that he hadn't realized his hand had begun to rub his stomach. The omega stood up and let himself be pulled into his lap, and sagged into his arms with a gasp. "Hey, what's wrong?" Taehyung's hand rose up to settle on his hip and Jungkook was sure he could feel the heat that radiated from his skin.

Jungkook nearly whimpered and he wrapped his arms tight around him. The steady cramping that hadn't left no matter what he drank or what medicine he took had disappeared the instant his alpha had touched him. He burrowed even closer and shoved his face in his neck as it finally clicked in his mind. "Tae, Taehyung," he kissed his shoulder and the alpha shivered at the sudden pressure, "I think I'm in pre-heat."

-------

"Taehyung, I swear to god, I'm not an invalid." Jungkook groaned, and his alpha paused with a guilty look on his face. He had a tray of food in his hands and the omega was almost a hundred percent sure that the alpha was about to attempt to feed him. "We've only been back for a few hours, I just want to cuddle." He rolled over to press his face into the couch cushions and held a hand out, fingers outstretched towards his alpha. "Hold me, please."

It was almost comical how fast the tray hit the table and the older man crawled up onto the couch. From the moment they had come home the alpha had been determined to meet each and every one of his needs no matter how small they were. Or if he'd asked. He hadn't even said he was hungry before the man was off in the kitchen putting together whatever it was they had in the cupboards. Not that Jungkook was going to complain, he'd never eaten so well since he joined the pack.