17. the one who deserves you is the one who thinks they don't

title quote by: unknown

The ride to the family house was silent. Jungkook stayed in the backseat as Yoongi drove him, the passenger seat empty; he felt a bit like he was being chauffeured but he didn't have the energy to make a joke out of it. The small paper bag sat in his lap and it felt pounds heavier than it really was. There was a heaviness in his chest that hadn't left the moment he'd left the hospital, a weight that made it hard to breathe and think straight. He hadn't felt anything but cold loneliness from his mate bond.

The thought that Taehyung had shut their bond scared him more than the future that awaited them both.

"Jungkook," The Second's voice suddenly broke through the stifling silence and the omega's head jerked up in surprise. "We're here." He said quietly; as he slowly stepped from the car his wolf whimpered at the oppressive power that radiated from the house. The modern house had always looked too outlandish surrounded by trees but now there was almost a fog of depression over the forest. "It'll be okay, Kook."

He didn't know how that was going to be true. He'd made his mate angry, he'd run from his mate, and then during an emotionally intense time that he needed Taehyung there for he's just thrown him away. It felt like a joke now, to think that he could just show up again and hope they could just, what, work things out?

The car was long gone by the time Jungkook had forced himself to take a step. His boots, still caked in mud from his breakdown-induced sprint just the other day, crunched the dead leaves along the walkway, past the soft pink flowers. He remembered when Taehyung had asked for his help in the garden weeks and weeks ago, only to apologize profusely when he learned about the omega's flower allergy. He'd taken hours out of his day to pull up all of the bulbs, and then had planted Jungkook's favorite color roses in their places.

The windows had their shades pulled, no hint to the state of the inside available to the curious eye.

A deep, shaky breath in, and then he headed to the front door. He couldn't wait any longer. He'd done enough damage for a lifetime. The passcode was second nature, and he stepped over the threshold of the place he called home for months. However, there was no warm feeling of comfort that came from the sparse decorating and the blank walls, there was only anxiety.

"Taehyung?" He called, then winced as his voice cracked. He tried to focus on where that seed of warmth used to sit, but again there was nothing. Tears welled up in his eyes but he sniffed and tried to force them back. Okay, Taehyung probably wasn't home. That was okay. It was okay. He'd just...wait. Yeah. He hugged the bag to his chest and slowly kicked off his boots. Jungkook would just wait in their room. At least there he could take in his alpha's scent, lay in the blankets they had shared just days ago before he'd thrown everything to shit. He headed down the hall for that very purpose, eyes set on one specific door, until he passed the one room he'd never entered.

It had always been there, a simple door just down the hall from the piano room. Taehyung had told him it was just an empty room, useless to him when he didn't have anything to put in it. Wishful thinking when he'd had the house built, he'd said. Jungkook had never put much thought into that before, but now he stopped in front of it. A hand reached out to open the door, strangely nervous despite knowing exactly what would be inside.

It was an empty room, white walls, wood floors, absolutely no furniture or decorations. As he looked around silently, his eyes roaming over the blank walls, he couldn't help himself. He could see where a tiny bed would fit perfectly, a dresser would fit nicely under the large window, he could see family pictures spread across the walls- taken by the Alpha, probably. He could imagine constantly tripping over small toys, a perfectly good chest against the wall that was never full like it was supposed to be. Giggles in the air as his alpha chased after the sound of quick, tiny feet.