22. there is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved

title quote by: george sand

-------

haha, i did NOT mean to take this long to update. this one is a little shorter, but that's because i have quite a bit planned for this next chapter.

-------

"I'm getting really concerned by how much money you spend."

Taehyung laughed as they were handed their key cards from Seokjin. The hotel was extravagant, to put it lightly. Jungkook wasn't a stranger to indulgence, he'd been raised wealthy, but the hotel was something else. The chandelier bordered on gaudy and the lights reflected off of every surface like a golden spotlight.

"You know I've got money to spare, darling. This is barely worth mentioning." Taehyung said offhandedly and Jungkook rolled his eyes. After his years homeless it was more than a little irritating to see people throw money around, although he knew Taehyung didn't mean to sound arrogant. "Come on, let's head up." He said with a small smile.

Jungkook couldn't help but smile back and lean further into his side. Extravagant or not, he would really love to be able to lay down with his mate and get away from the stress from the day. Albeit temporarily. "Can we order room service?" As if on cue his stomach rumbled and their bond hummed as Taehyung wrapped a tight arm around his shoulders. His alpha ever ready to solve his every problem, he thought with a small smile.

"Of course."

Seokjin and Yoongi had already settled in their rooms, so the three of them made their way to the elevator past the mix of humans and wolves in the lobby. They gained a few strange looks from both side but they ignored all of them. They'd made enough of a scene for the day.

The ride was silent, the three of them mentally exhausted from their long day. Hoseok leaned up against the reflective wall with a heavy sigh and let his head thump against the surface, Jungkook wrapped up in Taehyung's arms in the opposite corner. Taehyung ran a slow hand up and down his back and Jungkook swallowed back a yawn.

"Just a little bit further, darling." His alpha murmured, and Jungkook pressed his face into his neck. The floors ticked by silently until the doors slid open with a soft whoosh, and they all ambled out and down the hall. "Hoseok, you can go ahead." He said with a jerk of his head, and the redhead grinned and gave a lazy salute before he hurried ahead to his own room.

They walked silently together for a second, Taehyung's eyes locked on the room numbers. They were up high in the building and it was obvious even from the hall that each room was unreasonably large. Jungkook would have said something if he wasn't so hungry and tired. He just wanted to fill up on junk food and curl up next to Taehyung.

"Oh, here we-."

Taehyung's tone brightened as they turned the corner and their room came into view, and then he stumbled. The arm around Jungkook's waist went slack and the omega turned in alarm. "Tae-!" Their bond had been bright and content but had fallen flat, just as he lost his footing and started to careen to the carpeted floor. "Taehyung!" Jungkook was quick to grab his arm and yank him to his feet, but there was no response and his heart raced in his chest.

Then, as Taehyung's limp body swayed in his grasp, his head lolled to the side and Jungkook's stomach dropped at the sight of his eyes. Bright blue eyes like beacons that stared unblinking at something he couldn't see. They were wide and almost expressionless if it wasn't for the confused curl to his lips. Awful timing, he thought with a sigh. There was no way he would be able to pull the alpha all the way inside their room in either of their conditions.

He turned to make sure they were alone, only to hold back a panicked whine when he heard the elevator ding again. He couldn't let someone see the alpha this vulnerable, couldn't let them get a glimpse of the secret their family had worked so hard to keep a secret.