12. growth and comfort do not coexist

title quote by: ginni rometty

The stitches in Jungkook's throat were removed only a day after he woke up; the slow progress of his wounds was an unfortunately typical response to in injury from an alpha. Taehyung had watched with a firm frown as the tiny sutures were snipped and tugged from underneath his skin. Dr. Kim had only given their Alpha an exasperated look when he didn't leave the room and only shifted around the bed to stay within the omega's reach. Jungkook hid a smile behind his hand, he wouldn't say it while someone else was within earshot but he appreciated his alpha's attentiveness.

"You have an appointment to remove the rest in a few days." The doctor said as he tossed his gloves into a garbage bin. "We're letting you go home today, but  I can't recommend rest, and more rest, enough." He aimed that at Taehyung and the alpha nodded. "Make sure to take in plenty of fluids, and I know we've already told you the diet he needs to stay on, Alpha. No heavy lifting, no excessive exercise. After a few days you can start light stretches. We don't want you to strain anything, especially because your heat is coming up."

He spoke so plainly that Jungkook almost forgot to blush, but then Taehyung made a soft noise at the mention of his heat and his face burned. "Thank you." He coughed and the doctor smiled.

"I'll let you get dressed. A nurse will in shortly to get you sorted out for your discharge." He bowed to both of them, something that Jungkook couldn't quite wrap his head around.

Once the door shut with a soft snik Taehyung leaned down to grab the duffel bag he'd brought along that morning. "Alright, darlin'," He started and he heaved the bag up onto the bed, "I brought some of your clothes, and your shampoo and stuff if you wanted to take a quick shower before we left." He glanced up with a curious look. "Or you can wait until we get home." The word made him smile.

It had been nearly three months since Jungkook had moved in and they had gotten together and the omega still couldn't quite believe that in such a short amount of time he had a place he could call home, and a man he could be so close to. "I can wait." He held out both hands and pouted. "Help me sit up." Jungkook pitched his voice up and Taehyung laughed at his fake-cute act.

The alpha gently pulled him up so that he could carefully swing his legs over the edge of the bed; his muscles still held a deep ache but a firm hand between his shoulder blades helped him take a deep breath and relax. His alpha's scent was so calming to his senses now it was like a shock to his system to be surrounded by such a sterile scent. Even though Taehyung stayed the night the pack had been busy night and day since his attack, and he spent most of the day with them. It had been months since he'd been forced to spend so much time away from him.

"Do you want help getting dressed or do you want to do it yourself?" Jungkook paused with one hand outstretched towards the nylon bag. "Just because I'm going to help you with your heat doesn't mean you need to let me see your body immediately, darling." Taehyung said softly and Jungkook blinked. It had never occurred to him, not after they had spent months changing in front of each other, month sleeping in the same bed. Hell, Taehyung regularly gave him hickeys like they were going out of style just so other wolves wouldn't touch him. "Darling?"

"Could...could you help me?" He asked tentatively, and Taehyung's entire face lit up.

"Of course!" He assured and Jungkook slowly shifted to wiggle off his boxers and let Taehyung kneel to slowly slide a new pair up his legs. Taehyung's face didn't change and his hands didn't falter but Jungkook could feel that beat in his chest, the one that only beat for his alpha, speed up ever so slightly. His touch was respectful but the soft brush of his knuckles against bare skin had him shiver. "Still good?" He asked as he held onto a pair of the omega's sweatpants. His blue eyes were wide as if he thought had done something wrong.