21. i'll protect you; i'll stand by you if anything happens

"I don't think it needs to be said, but please keep a cool head."

It was all the advice Seokjin had been able to offer when they'd stepped out for a quick recess. There were eyes and ears on all of them from the moment they had entered. The Elders had wanted to convene before they continued onto the next order of business and Jungkook wouldn't argue fresh air. The scent of Alpha was only more and more overwhelming the longer they sat in that suffocating room.

Jungkook was a little confused by the Beta's words but Taehyung only nodded and tugged the omega along gently.

"Yoongi, you think you could go with Jin to make sure the hotel was figured out?" The Alpha asked as they stepped into the hall, and without a word the other blonde followed the Beta towards the elevator. "Come on, I need to breathe clean air." Jungkook snorted but leaned into his mates side as they walked; Hoseok followed silently behind. It was strange to see the older alpha so serious, but Jungkook figured they were all just being cautious.

They passed several other Alpha's along the way, probably on their own route to privacy, and Jungkook couldn't help but notice the dirty looks thrown their way. He wanted to say something, maybe make a rude gesture as they passed, but he knew there was a lot riding on their presentation. He didn't know the full story and he might not ever, but he knew their social standing was just about the lowest out of them all. He wasn't ignorant to how they rolled their eyes as Taehyung spoke or how they ignored their Beta when he tried to explain something.

They eventually found a small balcony that seemed blissfully free of any others and Hoseok stayed out by the door as the couple stepped outside. The fresh air made them both sigh as it washed away the hyper charged, overly masculine scents from the Alphas. Jungkook took a deep breath and let his shoulders relax, his hands slowly unclenched from the tight fists they'd found themselves in.

"Are you okay, darling?' Taehyung asked quietly, and Jungkook rubbed a soft hand over his bump. They had privacy for at least a few minutes. His mate stepped up behind him as if shield his body and his own arms wrapped around him, his larger hands settled over Jungkook's as they cupped his stomach. "Both of you?"

"I think so." He nodded and let his eyes shut for a moment. They swayed in place for a second, and Jungkook felt himself start to sink back into his alpha's arms. "Tae-," However, whatever he was about to say was suddenly cut off as the balcony door swung open, they looked over their shoulders to see Hoseok hold the door open.

"Tae, Alpha Choi would like to speak." Hoseok said stiffly, and the mated pair shared a look; Taehyung pulled him over to a small cushioned bench and gave him a short nod. It was a little embarrassing how Taehyung wouldn't let him out of his lap but he let the alpha's warmth soak through his clothes and curled an arm around his shoulders. He knew his mate's instinct to protect only grew stronger the longer they spent around all of these strangers.

The Alpha was a man Jungkook didn't recognize, although he wasn't very surprised- he'd been away from pack politics too long to recall anyone's face. He was tall and broad, built like any alpha should be and he had a sneer on his face that screamed 'trouble'.

"Alpha Choi." Taehyung greeted shortly, and Jungkook gave him a short head nod in kind- if Taehyung didn't think he was worth standing up for he would follow his lead. He'd be the silent pillar of support he knew Taehyung needed. "What did you need to speak to me about?" His intent to keep the conversation short was clear but Choi either didn't pick up on it or simply didn't care as he laughed and moved to lean against the banister almost lazily.

"You're the talk of the hour, V." He said and Jungkook held back an eye roll. Was this man seriously about to try and psyche them out? "You shut your borders down, right? Risky move for a supposedly 'neutral pack'." Taehyung's eyes narrowed and the hand on the omega's hip tightened. "Plus I think we were all hoping your line was going to die with you, but now you're mated?"