Chapter 52

4773 words

"What did Luna mean when she called you dreamer?" Sammy asks from the middle of the bed, watching me curiously as I pace back and forth the length of the bedroom.

"I've had dreams," I mutter and wave my hand, dismissing the small question that interrupts my thoughts. I am wondering just why on earth Seneca would destroy something that she knows means so much to me. But that's exactly it. She's not from earth, so I can't expect her to follow basic human decency.

She's a demon, with probably way more evil where that spite came from.

"What kind of dreams?" Sammy asks innocently.

"Bad dreams. Nightmares. About people dying." I rub my fingers against my temples. My head is pounding, my body shaking from the overexertion of earlier today.

The conversations with Devanshi and then Hamilton.

The vicious fight with Harlow.

The hateful destruction of my ancestor's violin.

It is all too much.

Too much.

Sinking to my knees, I bite back the scream that bubbles in my scratchy throat.

"About your mom and dad dying?" Sammy's voice grows louder as he comes nearer, crouching with me and placing his small hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah. And...and others," I blink up at him through the tears blurring my eyes. His face reflects a fraction of my pain, but mostly it is sympathy I see in his eyes and it actually comforts me. This little boy, who has lost so much and I have been caring for, is here caring for me.

"Do you dream about me?"

His simple question cuts through the haze in my mind, the faces I see with blood running from cuts and bruises, the strangled cries as too many people die in front of me. As the rogue dies at my hands.

Shaking my head to remove the morbid images, I give him a watery smile. "Only good dreams about you, Short stuff. Don't worry." I ruffle his hair, drawing a smile from him. I stand up and pull him up with me, determined to snap myself from this self-pity and be strong.

"I'm not short," he protests. "I'm nearly up to your waist," he measures his head against me.

"So you are. But you know, I'm short," I try a laugh, and it comes out a garbled croak.

"No you're not! Actually, maybe." Sammy tilts his head and narrows his eyes as he studies me. "Yeah, Harlow is a bit taller than you."

I roll my eyes. "Wow, thanks Kiddo for the kind observation. You know, when I was younger, I used to be the tallest in my class." I prop a hand on my hip and shimmy my shoulders.

"Really? What happened?" Sammy looks at me weirdly, like someone must've chopped my feet off.

"Well, some time in high school, I stopped growing and everyone just overtook me."

He huffs a little sigh and screws up his nose. "That musta been annoying."

"Uh huh. Sure was."

"Will I stop growing and be short forever?"

I look down at his worried face and watch as he bounces on his toes, as if trying to keep growing. "I don't think so, little buddy. I'm sure you'll grow up to be tall and very strong, maybe even taller than the Alpha."

He grins at this. "My daddy wants me to be a warrior just like him. I mean, he wanted me to, anyway." The grin slips from his face, and the frown creeps back between his light brown eyebrows.