Chapter 68

The song above "Cinema Pardiso" always makes me cry 😭

5213 words

"And as we remember their sacrifice, we ourselves will continue to breathe. As we remember their spilled blood, we will work the very land which their bodies have returned to." Malachi took a deep breath and felt his heart ache in his chest. It was like a heavy stone had encased it and contracted, suffocating it as it tried to thump with life.

Why was he alive when so many of his pack members weren't? Why couldn't he have suffered a sacrificial death instead of his loyal wolves and his even more loyal mate? He would never understand it, and all he could do was continue being grateful for the lives spared and the hope they now had for a brighter future.

He felt Ariella slip her hand in his and he squeezed it tightly, embracing her support like he never had before. He nodded at her as she stood beside him, then turned back to his pack who all looked to him as Alpha. "Not a single day will pass that we won't live in gratitude and remembrance of the pain suffered to make this territory ours. We will go on, walking on the path of peace our selfless warriors have helped forge.
Their names will pave the stones for generations to look upon and never forget. We will never forget."

The gathered wolves repeated their Alpha's sentiment. "We will never forget!"

Alpha Malachi raised his hands, and his Beta handed him the flaming torch. He then approached the massive pyre, stacked logs and chopped wood that would feed the flames of finality. His Luna stood by his side, her face set stiffly as she watched those surrounding the pyre. Each wolf was family to those who lay dead upon the pile of wood. Every connection was more than just familial. Brother and sister extended beyond blood.

She saw the pain and grief that lined every face, the tears falling silently from heavy eyes, the shaking of shoulders as sobs were kept in. Though her bond to the pack as Luna wasn't complete, she still felt the familiar emptiness that echoed through them all, reverberating in their souls as they mourned the lost connections with their loved ones.

They all stood in the town centre where ceremonies and memorials were held. The sun was high in the sky, the injured mostly recovered, the broken clutching each other for comfort and support. Flowers, found amongst the wild brambles that grew on the surrounding hills, were placed in hair, on clothing, around wrists and even tucked in the cracks of brickwork on the buildings around. With Ariella's inspiration, the memorial became alive and vibrant with colour to honour the lives of those lost.

Malachi placed the flaming torch in the kindling under the larger logs, then stepped back as the flames took hold and grew stronger. A gentle breeze blew over them, fanning them, spreading them until a raging fire consumed the wood and bodies like a jealous lover, never letting go until the heat of passion ravaged the lifeless forms. Their souls were gone, their lives lived, their sacrifices etched in the memories and histories of DoubleEdge Pack.

"The fight isn't over yet," Ariella murmured as Malachi clutched her to himself. His arms wrapped around her waist, his chin resting on top of her head. "There are more demons out there, I can feel them."

"I know," Hamilton agreed grimly as he stood beside them. "I've just sent the strongest guards and warriors on patrol. They're running the perimeter but haven't come across any more rogues or demons yet."

"Thankfully. I don't think anyone here would be able to fight again so soon," Harlow said as she looked around at the lingering wolves sadly. A fresh scar ran down her left cheek, and she held her left arm close against her body chest as the broken bones knitted back together. Not one of the warriors had been left unscathed. She stayed by her brother's side, shaken with how close she had come to losing him.