Chapter 18

4100 words

Ariella gasped and turned quickly to the deep voice beside her. The swift action overbalanced her, and with a small yelp she shifted off the branch and jolted to the ground. She'd have fallen flat on the dirt if it wasn't for two strong hands instantly reaching to grip her elbows.

"Woah, easy there. Sorry to frighten you."

"No, I—" Ariella looked up into rich green eyes, bright with amusement and something else. A charm that instantly put her at ease. Though the eyes were framed with a handsomely chiseled face and black hair that was slicked back to perfection, she felt at ease with this man—the one who had been Seneca's shadow during the dreadful meeting that morning in the kitchen. "It's okay. I- I am the clumsy one. I often don't pay enough attention to what's going on around me," she stuttered, quickly looking away from his stunning eyes that seemed to be riveted upon her. Why he would find her so interesting, she didn't have a clue.

"I somehow doubt that, Ariella."

The way he said her name, the milky smoothness of his voice, it had her swallowing the sudden dryness of her throat and blinking her eyes to regain control of her attention. When she looked back at him, her eyes raking up the torso of his neatly pressed buttoned shirt and up to his face, she found him still regarding her with a subtle smile. Could he see right through her? Was he remarking upon her annoying habit to be so keenly aware of her vicinity? Especially when someone as stunning as him was standing so close, his hands still gripping her elbows lightly, his breath fanning the light hairs on the top of her head. And the way she noticed he used her name had her heart wondering just who he could be.

Shaking her head and chuckling to ease her tight muscles, Ariella said, "I've been known to be so oblivious to my surroundings, that someone could finish all my birthday cake right under my nose."

That time when she'd been so impressed by the gift of a new sketch pad her mother had given her still sat close in her memory. She'd been dreaming of all the different things she could draw, all the beautiful landscapes and curious small animals she would fill the pages with, that she hadn't noticed her dad scooping more and more cheesecake onto his plate until Lexi scolded him for it.

He laughed along with her, his eyes crinkling and his chest heaving with the movement. "Cake! Hmm I would most definitely hoard all my cake before anyone could lay a paw on it."

"That's a good idea," Ariella couldn't help agreeing with him.

"Yes. You should take the cake and run with it, maybe climb one of these trees of yours," he laid a hand on the branch behind her. "I'm sure no one would be able to disturb you then."

"Well, you managed to find me," she pointed out, still giggling about the comically serious tone of his words.

"Yes, about that," he looked down at his shoes before making eye contact again. "I wanted to apologise for Seneca's behaviour this morning. And introduce myself."

Ariella sucked in a long breath. She had been wondering just who this wolf was, and if he was related to Malachi's cold mother in any way.

"Alright," she tilted her head, waiting for him to go on.

"Seneca is always wary of new people she meets, especially when it comes to her son's friends. And especially his mate. I'm sure you can understand her hesitance in just accepting you as part of the family. I know she was rather abrupt and dismissive this morning, but give her time. She'll warm up to you."

"You sure?" His words sent a sliver of hope into Ariella's heart, and for the first time that day she felt a bit less dread for her future here.

"Of course. Who wouldn't?" He sent her another smile, his straight white teeth shining bright against his olive skin and the trimmed black beard on his jaw. "I can already tell you're a charming creature," he tilted his head to regard her from a different angle, the satisfactory smile growing on his face telling all.