Chapter 31

3636 words

The pounding on the front door startled her.

Who would be calling at this time of the morning?

Chesca washed her hands of the fresh fruit she had been slicing, and moved to the door.

Opening it slowly, she sensed who was on the other side before seeing him. But the sight of the little boy standing there in dripping wet pyjamas, dark curly hair plastered to his forehead, was still a complete shock.

"Justin—?"

"Hey Aunt Chesca, where is Sav—" His eyes widened as they looked past her. "Vannah!!"

The he dashed past the Alpha with a shriek and lightning quick speed, and before Chesca could even think of stopping him, he'd tackled a sleepy looking Savannah to the ground. They rolled on the floor of the living room, grasping each other around the neck and shoulders, hitting and yelling at each other in a way that was so not appropriate for this early in the day. This hullabaloo would surely wake baby Isaiah if Chesca didn't get them under control.

"Children! Get off each other right now!" Chesca demanded, but it was like their little ears weren't tuned to anything she said. With grunts and squeals, they kept going at it, sometimes Savannah on top, her little hands grabbing at Justin's hair before he flipped her over and pinned her arms to her side.

"I nearly drowned because of you! Say you're sorry!" his face was red and he was livid as he yelled at her.

Savannah just giggled and grinned up at him. "Never! I know you're a good swimmer. Or are you now scared of the eels in the lake?" She jabbed him in the ribs and pushed him aside, his back hitting the coffee table.

Chesca was about to throw herself between the two ferocious wolf pups, but a hand slid around her waist, holding her back. She jumped, but instantly relaxed into her mate's arms. "Do you have any idea what's going on?" she turned to Kaiden, who was trying very hard to keep a smile off his face. He was failing.

"You do! Kaiden! Tell me you didn't cave to Savannah's pestering and actually..." she trailed off when Beta Benjamin and his mate Kira rushed into the living room through the door that was still standing open. Kira reached down and grabbed her son off Savannah, but Benny just stood by and laughed.

He actually laughed.

"You too?" Chesca couldn't believe this, but when she tried to prod the story from her mate, Kaiden just wrapped her in his arms from behind, his hands firmly splayed on her large belly, and buried his face against her neck.

"You are in deep this time, Vannah!" Justin struggled against his mum's strong grip as he glared angrily at Savannah. "Just you wait until I get you back."

The Alpha pup just picked herself up from the floor, oblivious of her rumpled and wet pyjamas and messy hair. "Wow, kelp looks good in your hair, Jus. You should wear it like that more often!" she smirked and grinned wide.

"Why, I oughta—"

"Okay, that's enough, Justin!" His mother scolded and Chesca was still piecing together what happened. She looked between the two mature males in the room, both of whom were looking anything but mature with goofy smiles on their handsome faces.

"Did you really chuck Justin into the lake?" She turned on her mate.

"No! Of course not! How cruel."

"And childish. Way too childish. Can you imagine the example that would be for the children? No way, Jose. We did nothing of the sort," Benny crossed his arms and feigned a serious expression.