Chapter 38

The song above is 'The Song of the Caged Bird' by Lindsey Stirling, an amazing violinist. Later in the chapter, when Ariella plays her violin, I imagine her song to be similar to the one above :)

4312 words

Flames dance between us, glowing orange and golden. Their light is reflected in his onyx irises, illuminating them with amber and scarlet sparks. With a gaze like a cunning predator, he watches me watching him. Aware. Alert. Direct and unrelenting.

An icy fist squeezes my chest, making it hard to breathe under his unwavering attention. I blink, and when I meet his gaze once again, his eyes are shifting from navy blue to the signature azure hue I love so much. One side of his beautiful mouth tilts up in a small smile, and my heart jolts after perhaps stuttering to a stop only a moment before.

What have I just seen?

It doesn't matter. Nothing matters now that he is here. Now that my mate has come to be with me.

My legs act before I even command them to move, eating up the distance around the bonfire until I am close enough to launch at him. "Malachi!" I shout and jump towards him, my arms locking around his neck.

His chuckle vibrates through his chest and into my own. "Did you miss me?" His arms hold me tightly against him.

I pull back for a moment to look up at him, my smile big as I notice that he too is grinning broadly. I rise on my toes and place my lips on his, my hungry kiss the only answer I can give right now.

I missed the awareness of his presence, knowing he always lingered nearby no matter where I was around his pack. I missed his deep and steady breathing that I would listen to at night as we lay beside each other in the stillness. I missed the rare smiles he would give me when no one else was around. In fact, I even missed the serious glint in his eyes and stiff posture as he commanded his men, my wolf feeling immensely happy that this strong Alpha male was mine.

Yes, I missed him.

And judging by the way he buries his face in my neck and inhales deeply, then trails soft kisses up my neck back to my lips, I know Malachi missed me too. His arms envelope me against his broad chest so that it is almost too hard to breathe. But I don't care. He is all the breath I need.

Just as his tongue pushes my lips apart, I hear a not so subtle cough, and with a shock of embarrassment, I remember where we are.

"Well hello, Alpha Malachi. I don't suppose I'm interrupting anything?"

I step back and shoot a glare at the intruder, only to see the smug eyes of Alpha Kaiden. He is stifling a cheeky grin, and then slapping Malachi on the back. I let a chuckle escape and squeeze my mate's hands.

"I'm proud of you, man. My mate wouldn't let me steal a kiss until weeks of courtship or some such silly nonsense," Kaiden winks at Chesca who steps up and lightly punches his arm. "But you, my boy, have a precious gem. Ariella is like no other young woman I've ever met, and I'm sure you're treating her right." Alpha Kaiden gives me a smile then narrows his eyes slightly at Malachi. It is a silent reminder that he better behave or else he has the Alphas to answer to. I'm so blessed that they care for me like family.

"Yes, sir, I understand." Malachi dips his head in earnest respect to the older Alpha.

They begin chatting, and I enjoy the feel of Malachi's arm winding around my waist and pulling me securely to his side. I rest my ear against his chest, listen to his rhythmic heartbeat, and feel at home.

After a few minutes I see Gabby's older brother, Joshua, a few metres away, glancing at me curiously. I sigh and excuse myself to greet him.

"Hey," I wave and stand beside him, looking up into his blue eyes. His blonde hair is neat and short, his skin tanned and golden, arms corded with thick muscles and veins, and a white shirt wraps across his broad torso. He is the living definition of a strong warrior.