Chapter 73

Post script for the last chapter: I did some research and found that in the US (which I assume most of my readers are from) the colour of beach flags are different to in Australia 😅 So to clarify, over here a set of red and yellow flags (pic above) denotes a safe zone for swimming, patrolled by life guards 😌 Any swimming outside of these is risky even on good days.

2484 words

My feet become tangled, something strong and powerful wrapping around my legs and hips.

Then I'm thrust into the air. I scream, remembering to take a breath before I crash back into the water, and look down to see Malachi with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" I lunge towards him, all the wrath and fury of a siren painted on my face, my hair wildly slinging around my shoulders.

He just laughs, catching me easily as I fall against his chest. I try dunking him, pushing down hard on his broad shoulders, but the strong Alpha has firmly planted his feet in the stand and is impervious to my attacks.

I settle for crashing my lips to his just as another wave crashes over us. The taste of salt is strong on his tongue, the warmth a contrast to the cold water that streams from our hair and down our cheeks. His hands wrap around my slim waist tightly, warming my bare skin. I shiver and wrap my legs around his hips, clinging to him as the surge of water buffets us.

He is my anchor, holding me close, ensuring nothing can knock me down or wash me away. He carries me out beyond the breakers, and we spend the last remaining hours of glorious sunshine floating, treading water, ducking under the waves, and whispering secrets against each others lips.

As the sky burns orange and magenta, violet hues streaking from the horizon, and the first stars begin to shine in the cornflower sky above us, we make our way out of the water and laugh at our wrinkled skin.

With his hand in mine, the cool breeze caressing our skin, and the evening shadows wrapping us in secrecy, I feel so peaceful and content. I am finally home. No matter where on earth I am, as long as Malachi is with me and our bond is strong and unhindered, I will be perfectly happy.

There's no need for words as we make our way back up to our room. A silent understanding exists between us, our minds linked in such a beautiful way even before we have consummated our love and bond.

At that thought, a coil of nervousness twists in my stomach, and I'm sure Malachi senses the change in my mood as his hand tightens around mine.

"You okay?"

"Sure," I give him my best smile and do all I can to block the fear and doubt in my mind from him. "I'm just cold. I might take a hot shower, then we'll get some food, hmm? I'm hungry after all that swimming," I say, quickly grabbing a clean towel, some clothes, and my bathroom bag. I slide the bathroom door shut before my mate can even respond. As I raced around the artfully decorated room, I felt his eyes on me, a blazing hot scrutiny as I brushed him off. But I ignore it and pray he'll understand in time.

As I stand with a beach towel wrapped around my shivering body, taking a moment to catch my breath, I hear a knock on the door and jump in startlement. Hesitating to open it, I call out, "What?"

"What?" he echoes.

"What what?" I release the towel from around me and keep staring at my messy reflection in the mirror, hoping he'll go away.

But I should know by now—my mate isn't easily deterred. "What what what?"

"Oh, for goodness' sake!" I sigh dramatically at his childishness and open the door, raising an eyebrow as I lock gazes with him.