Chapter 62

5204 words

Warmth.

Surrounding me is warmth, and something soft like a feather comforter. I feel my body relax, sinking into a feeling of weightlessness and abandon. I don't move a muscle, just tune into each of my senses.

My skin is warm and caressed gently by something that barely leaves an impression yet washes over me, as if I am floating in an atmosphere so light and comforting.

My eyes are closed, but the pale light beyond my lids is soothing and gentle.

I listen carefully to the low hum that seems to echo and vibrate through me from every angle, every side.

I don't move or roll over, but I feel the sound throb stronger in a particular direction. I move on in my exploration with my senses, opening my mouth to take a deep breath and taste the air on my tongue, salty and sweet at once. It rushes into my lungs, reviving the parched and dusted cells that caused my lungs to spasm in the forest.

...the forest.

The lunar blood eclipse.

Demons, rogues, Seneca.

The dagger meant for Malachi, slicing through my chest and setting each cell alight with pain like a raging fire.

All these thoughts come rushing into my mind, swamping me with alarm and anguish, my limbs jerking as I try and feel steady ground beneath my feet. I feel like I am floating, floundering and about to drown. Where am I, and what happened? I pull memories forward in my brain, and the last thing I remember was the intense pain and emptiness as the blade in Seneca's hands sank deep into my chest. Darkness had swallowed me soon after, a darkness worse even than my most terrifying nightmares.

I had managed to fling myself between Seneca and Malachi before she could turn him into a demon forever.

I whispered I'm sorry to my mate, but I'm not really sorry. I would do it again. I would save him from an eternity of evil even if I had to suffer a thousand deaths.

My life for his, that's how it's meant to be with mates. We care about each other so much that we would do nothing less than give our lives for each other.

I'm only sorry I won't see Malachi become a good and strong Alpha, worthy to lead his pack into a safe, peaceful future.

Tugging my eyes open, eager to banish the black images in my mind, I am greeted with a vivid blue, clearer than any sky I've ever lived under. There is no sun that I can see, but light radiates all around me, and I realise this is the perfect warmth that I feel. I am neither too cold nor hot, just perfectly comfortable. My skin tingles where the light makes contact, a low thrum of electricity running through my veins and fortifying my very bones.

I move my head sideways and water splashes over my face. I gasp, lifting my arms to wipe the water from my eyes, and try to keep my head above the gentle waves that I now see rolling towards me. The water I am floating in is crystal clear, and when I dive underneath, I realise I can see for many metres through the turquoise depths.

My feet touch the ground, such soft sand, and I am happy to find I can stand without struggling against the water. It reaches up to my chest, and my white dress billows around me, but it does not tug me down or impede my movement. Everything is so strangely wonderful, every sensation strengthening me, everything so pure.

Turning my face away from the sea that stretches far beyond my sight, the surface of the glassy water sparkling and reflecting the light, I see a beach not too far behind me. The white sand is clean and bright, gently sloping up to tall palms that line the shore. Beyond them is more forest or jungle, I'm not sure which, and beyond that, a mountain range. The emerald, jade, and violet hues are so vivid, almost glowing, and I can't bear to look for too long. But they don't hurt my eyes, and I stare in awe as I wade towards the shallows of the sea, the waters swirling around my ankles. Their warmth caresses me like a lover's fingers.