Chapter 33

Bonus mid-week update! I have an exam this Friday so that update might be a little late 😊
Enjoy~

3228 words

The air is heavy with my dread, making it almost too thick to breathe. Especially with my mate's hand squeezing my shoulder, his thumb pressing in under my collarbone. Although it doesn't hurt, I understand his meaning clearly.

"I asked, where have you been?" Malachi growls at me again when I take too long to answer. "And who were you with? I can smell his scent all over you."

An extra wave of fear engulfs me as I look into Malachi's dark eyes, dotted with dancing red embers. I know the type of risk a jealous mate poses to another male, especially if it's a jealous Alpha mate. Their strength can be magnificent when fueled by fiery possession.

I try and tell him he has nothing to worry about though. "It—it was just a boy—"

"Don't lie to me!" Malachi leans into my face and snarls, making me flinch. Squeezing my eyes shut, an involuntary whimper escapes my throat.

Suddenly Malachi steps back from me, leaving a rush of cold air between us.

When I open my eyes, his gaze is to the floor, a frown creasing his forehead.

Then he looks up. "Sorry about that," he says with a smile. All trace of darkness is gone, leaving me to stare into those crystal blue eyes I admire so much.

"What— Excuse me?" I fumble for words, the air rushing from my lungs as I exhale shakily.

"Sorry, I was just practicing my scary face," he says after a moment's hesitation, as if he was debating something in his mind while I stand here, still pressed up against the wall, my heart on lockdown and all my shields up.

"Your scary face," I say it flatly, still having no clue what is going on.

"Yes, for when I'm negotiating with other packs. And for intimidating them," he shrugs his shoulders like it's the most normal situation in the world, and brushes his fringe back with steady fingers. "I'm sorry for scaring you like that. I didn't know you'd take it so seriously."

I look away and take a few deep breaths, not wanting to admit that I was scared of him. My mate. He'd never hurt me, right?

"You know I'd never hurt you, Ariella?"

I snap my eyes to his. It's almost like he read my mind. But with his mark gracing my neck, maybe he does have some stronger connection to me than I realise. I nod and force a smile, my mind brimming with so many questions and not much idea where to start.

When I don't say anything, Malachi grimaces. "Again, I'm sorry," he whispers and takes my hands between his. They are so warm and gentle around my cold ones, and my breath catches in my throat when the sparks tingle up my arms. "Let's, uhh, let's get a drink or something. I was on my way to the kitchen for some food. You want a snack?" he asks in a soft voice, so different to his harsh and throaty growl from before.

I let him lead me down the hall, still trying to figure him out and what just happened, yet feeling reassured by his calm behaviour now. He is always gentle with me, even if distant.

I sink onto a bar stool at the kitchen bench, and observe my mate. He moves fluidly to the freezer and pulls out a container before getting two bowls from the cupboard.

Setting it all in front of me, along with two spoons, he asks, "Do you want some ice cream? You do like salted caramel ice cream, right?"

"Yes of course, seeing as I'm the one who bought it." I reach for the tub and begin scooping some out.