Chapter 10

3409 words

I sleep in late and only pull myself from my warm bed sometime after ten.

My mom has already gone into town with my dad, explaining on a note that Alpha Kaiden has called them for a meeting. With the house to myself, I practice my violin, dust the lounge, hum romantic love songs while baking heart shaped cookies, and prepare potato casserole for lunch. I can barely keep my mind on the tasks for very long as I keep going back to one thing—I'm going to be seeing my mate again tonight, after spending a beautiful time with him last night under the stars.

He apologised so thoughtfully for what he did when we first me, and he took me onto his territory to sit and talk together. I can still feel his arms around me, and most importantly I can feel the soft sensation of his tongue on my lips. It makes my heart nervous all over again, but though it surprised me I can't dismiss the thought that I wanted to do the same. His skin just looked so beautiful, I wanted to explore it with not only my eyes but my lips as well.

But more importantly, I wanted to explore his heart. I wanted to know him and understand his ways.

He had spoken so firmly, yet I couldn't shake the feeling of hesitance in his tone. His entire attitude and demeanor were so strong, yet I sensed a gentleness and vulnerability. I'm sure he allows no one else to see this, but I am his mate. And I see things that go beyond the surface. Beyond normal sight. I especially can't forget the beautiful, silky wings of his I saw last night, and wonder what it means. He is a wolf, like me, but I know there is another layer to him. Another dimension.

Or maybe it's the other way around. Maybe he belongs to another dimension, one which people can't normally see? They say demons exist in the Interealm, the plane that sits parallel and within our own, so I'm sure angels are there, too. Is that what he is? Can there even be a being who is part-angel, part-wolf? I don't know enough of these spiritual matters to make sense of it, but I can't ignore what I see.

"Girl, what's up?"

I am startled as Luci and Gabby wander through the front door as if they live here.

"The sky," I roll my eyes and walk back into the kitchen, pulling the casserole from the oven. My parents should be home soon for lunch.

"Yum, these are so good!" Luci mumbles around a mouthful of cookie, and Gabby slaps it from her hand before snatching one for herself.

"How are you feeling after last night?" she then asks carefully.

I smile a silly smile, then remember what it is she's asking about. "Oh, I'm okay," I force a frown. "Honestly, Max is just an immature bully. Whatever he does can't hurt me," I brush it off, exaggerating a bit but since spending time with my mate, I feel like no one's insults and cruel jokes can hurt me now.

"Yeah, that's cool. Sticks and stones," Luci shrugs. "And did you hear what happened to him? Apparently on his way home last night, he fell into the lake and hit is head. Nearly drowned but his brother pulled him out in time."

A sudden coldness washes over me. "What?" I have always been wary of the lake. Ever since I rode off my bike near the edge and almost fell in, I've avoided it. "Mom always says that lake is dangerous and we should be careful around it, especially at night," I lift a finger and speak like a responsible adult.

"Ha!" Luci smacks my finger down. "You wouldn't think your mom was the one who threw Alpha Kaiden in, would ya? Parents!" She rolled her eyes and snagged another cookie.

"Don't believe every silly story they tell," I defend my mom and her tales of childish pranks they did as teens and young adults. I'm sure the stories get exaggerated each time they're retold.