Chapter 71

Bonus early update!
♥️😊

3048 words

I catch the dark glare that Harlow is giving me, daggers shooting from her brooding eyes as she leans against the back wall and casually sips her drink.

"Not everyone loves me." I turn back to the two in front of me, but find them already lost in their own little world. Discreetly leaving them alone, I go in search of my mate.

I wander around, receiving hugs and well wishes from members of my new pack, and I am so happy that everyone is getting along and respecting each other. I join Malachi and he slips his arm around my waist, pulling me close against him.

I nestle in under his arm and look up at his face. His eyes are shining at me, his mouth pulled wide in a bright smile. His skin is vibrant, clear and tanned golden, no pale marks or sallow expression. Every trace of darkness has been washed away, every haunted crevice that marred his handsome face is gone. In their place is a peace and light that astounds me every time I look at him. His beautiful and handsome looks take my breath away.

I watch him for a few moments as he talks to Kaiden and Chesca, only becoming distracted when Aunt Chesca places baby Hunter in my arms. He squirms for a moment before settling. His little body curls into me and I grin at him, wiggling my brows in an attempt to make him smile. Hunter makes a soft cooing sound that makes me giggle, before he turns back to his mother and reaches out to her with his little chubby arms. Just as I've handed him back, Hamilton catches my eye from over Kaiden's shoulder.

I excuse myself and join him. "What is it?" I ask in a whisper when I reach his side.

"Have you seen my sister? I swear that girl is trying to make my life miserable. I saw her laughing by the drinks table with a few guys, a bottle of questionable substance in her hands." He runs his long fingers through his tangled curls, and sighs in exasperation.

"Well, I did see her glaring at me a few moments ago. I think, despite her best efforts to be okay with this, she's still upset with me and Malachi."

Hamilton looks at me sharply. "She knew from the start that he wasn't hers to have. If she wants to keep acting like a spoiled brat, I'll have to ship her off to our mother's. I don't have the patience or energy to look after her like she's ten years old again," he grounds out through clenched teeth as we walk amongst the crowd of wolves.

I can't see her in the main hall or kitchen, so we head down the corridor at the back that leads to some meeting rooms. The light is dim in the hallway, but the smell of alcohol is strong and it churns my stomach.

Soft laughter reaches my ears, and Hamilton growls lowly.

Two shadows emerge from the wall at the end of the hall, and Harlow's face appears pouting and sultry. "Come to interrupt my happiness, brother?" she drawls lazily, then giggles when the male who has her pinned against the walls nips her on the neck.

"Get off of her!" Hamilton reaches them in two long strides, then tears the man away with a ferocity that surprises me.

"No, Hamil! He's my mate!"

We all stop cold at her words. I peer closer at the male, who has his arms up in defence. His long fringe flops over his forehead and obscures his face. Despite his efforts to wrench himself free from Hamilton's grip, his strength fails to match that of the Beta.

"What's your problem, man?" he growls, and I recognise his voice.

"Max?"

"Oh, hey, Ari. Sweet party you got going on. Even found my mate. She's so much more fun than you— wait, I didn't mean—"