Chapter 4

1980 words

"Lexi!"

"Chesca! How are you, Sis?" The women embraced and began talking a thousand words a minute while Ariella trailed in behind.

"Hey, Aunt Ches. Where's Isaiah?" The teenager instantly looked for the baby, and Chesca loved how good she was with children. Emerald ran up to give her a hug, and even little Isaiah reached up his arms for her.

They settled down in the living room, and Lexi began asking questions about the pregnancy and carefully feeling her abdomen. Ever since losing her own baby, Lexi had made it her mission to ensure no other shewolf went through the same thing she had. Even though they had a couple pack doctors, Lexi developed the special touch and empathy of a midwife that calmed the expectant mothers. Chesca especially enjoyed having her friend alongside her for each step of her pregnancies. Lexi had never grown bitter or despondent in grief over her loss, but had somehow healed with the help of her mate and adopted daughter Ariella.

It wasn't long before it was lunch time, and the mothers prepared it together while the children played. Soon Savannah came bursting through the front door, throwing herself down on the couch dramatically and groaning.

"I nearly died!"

"Why, what happened this time?" Chesca rolled her eyes at Lexi and shared a smile.

"Justin challenged me to do a hundred push ups. A hundred! Do you know how many that is? And he said he'd let me do the girly ones, but there was NO WAY I wanted to look like a sissy. Now my arms are killing me. I will be the Alpha one day, so I have to be big and strong," she sat up and spoke excitedly, her skinny arms waving in big gestures. "But I think Justin is trying to kill me before then so he can be Alpha!"

Savannah finished her story with a grimace and flopped back down, throwing a hand over her face.

"Don't be so dramatic. Justin is a nice boy. When I met him last week, he even kissed the back of my hand," Ariella tried soothing the exhausted girl, yet she shared a knowing smile with the older shewolves.

"That doesn't make him nice. It's actually the opposite! He was just trying to prove to the other boys that he could talk to a pretty girl. I heard them talking about it later on behind the meeting house. So I walked up to them and said, 'What about me? You don't think I'm pretty?' Justin and Cale just laughed so I pushed them down in the mud. Both of them! Now that is some pretty good Alpha stuff if I can beat both of them!" Savannah grinned and hugged her knees to her chest, looking anything like an Alpha with her light brown hair in messy pigtails, her shins bruised and knees scraped from playing outside, and her eyes brightly glowing with the adventures of childhood enthusiasm.

The world would eat up an Alpha like her.

Chesca loved her eldest daughter, wondering if she'd ever grow up but at the same time never wanting her to lose her exuberance and sweet innocence.

"Why don't we draw some pictures until lunch is ready," Ariella suggested and pulled out her colourful pencils.

"Is this your art book? Can I look at it?" Emerald picked up the treasured book with gilt designs on the cover, and began flipping through before Ariella flung out her arms and gracefully extracted the book from Emerald's little fingers and prying eyes. "Maybe just one picture. But this is like my diary and I don't let just anyone look at it."

The two girls huddled up next to Ariella on the couch, and waited expectantly as she chose a picture. Everyone knew Ariella liked to draw and write poetry in her art book, and though most of it was fantastical images of places and beings, it was still beautiful, the tiny bit she shared with her friends and family.