Chapter 37

4036 words

"And this is my doll, I named her Sandy because her hair is yellow like sand. She looks so pretty in this pink dress, don't you think?"

Emerald picked up the doll from its place amongst other stuffed animals, and smoothed out the dress that was covered in flowers, ribbons, and buttons. Her side of the room that she shared with her sister was all soft and girly with pretty pink things everywhere, while Savannah's side was decorated with unusual things like smooth rocks from the creek, slingshots made from sticks, and curious leaves dried between books.

The two Alpha daughters were opposite in many ways, but so alike in their love for their family and friends.

"It's gorgeous," Ariella agreed, patting the doll and looking about the room. When Ariella and her mom came to visit for the day, both girls instantly pulled her upstairs to excitedly show her their latest gifts and toys. Now while Emerald was proudly pointing out her neatly arranged collection, Savannah sat in the window seat flipping through a book.

"And this is Mr Bunny. I got him from Daddy for my birthday last year. He has the softest fur. Feel it?" Emerald held up a stuffed bunny rabbit and Ariella patted it.

"He sure is soft. And he's got a really cute face. And he even has whiskers," Ariella inspected it closer before tickling Emerald on her neck and arms with the whiskers. The young girl's happy giggles and smiles brightened the already sunny room.

"Cale hates that rabbit for some weird reason," Savannah said with amusement. "He tried to throw it in the lake when Emmy brought it to school."

"But it's okay. I kept Mr Bunny safe. I'd never let that mean little wolf hurt you, would I?" Emerald stroked the stuffed toy and talked to it in a soft voice.

"He's not as mean as Justin." The comment came from the future Alpha who had her nose back in the book, a scowl on her cute face. Suddenly she laughed. "Hey, It says here that a special type of sumac plant gives you an itch. Should I try and put some in Justin's jacket? It would be so funny to see him scratching all over!"

"What are you reading?" Ariella got up from her kneeling position to sit beside Savannah. The sunshine glided in the open window and illuminated the pages that consisted of words and simple sketch diagrams.

"It's a botany book my mom gave me last week. It's been in her library for years and when I found it, I couldn't stop looking at it, it's so interesting! So Mom said I could keep it," Savannah grinned with excitement. "It's full of so many cool facts, all about the plants that grow around here. Some are used for medicine, some are used to add flavour to food, and some are even poisonous." Savannah's eyes sparkled with delight as she rubbed her hands together.

"Sounds like you need to be careful with what you pick," Ariella flipped through the pages, recognising many flowers and herbs that she'd seen across the years in her meadows and forests. Memories of being pricked with thorns, stung with bees, and sneezing from a faceful of pollen skipped through her mind. Despite all this, she loved nature, and it seemed Savannah did too.

Her eyes caught on something, one word in the description of a plant.
Madness.

The small shrub, Madenolia insansum, grew beautiful blossoms that came in shades of white to blush pink. It was under the poisonous section of the book, coming with a warning to steer clear of it as even a brush of the petals could allow the toxic residue to infiltrate the skin and enter the bloodstream. Though little was known about it, it was believed the toxin could reach the brain and destroy neurons, over time resulting in insanity, or madness. It only grew on the very high mountain tops, somewhere near the present location of IceSword Pack.