Chapter 67

^ Superhero music is perfect for writing and reading ;)

6672 words (sorry it's so long!)

"I don't understand..." I begin slowly. There are now hundreds of questions whirling in my mind, and I don't know where to begin.

Malachi paces behind me, yet always within arm's reach, a dark look on his face. It's nothing like the dark looks he used to wear, but I can tell he is deeply bothered by this.

"So you mean to tell me, you weren't briefed on the history between our packs as part of your formal Luna training?" the rogue, who is actually an Alpha, stands and looks at me puzzled.

I laugh, an effortless sound that seems to release the tension in my chest and throat. "Formal Luna training?" I look at Hendrik who shares a boyish smile, then look at Hamilton who is frowning just as darkly as his Alpha.

It is Malachi who responds. "We've had our hands rather full these last few weeks. And in case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a crisis and many of my wolves are dead and I've just lost my mother since she nearly turned me into a demon, and we don't have time right now for your games!" Malachi shouts, waving his arms before raking both hands through his hair.

I loop my arm around his waist and rest my head on his shoulder, feeling his agitation vibrate through every muscle and tendon of his strong body.
"Malachi, it's okay. Let's just all calm down and discuss this in a reasonable manner," I make eye contact with each man present, my eyes then wondering to gathered women and children who watch on expectantly.

They don't seem to feel threatened by the presence of the rogue, and Malachi isn't lunging to tear his throat out. So despite my initial concerns of meeting Zander, I feel them slip away as a feeling of honesty and integrity radiates from him. I feel I can trust him, as I did when I first offered my hand to him.

"Then allow me to begin," Zander speaks, his tone formal and his words eloquent. "My father, Vanko, was the Alpha of the land we are standing on, the Pack of Siyah Mağara, named for the numerous caves that riddle the mountain ranges." He gestures his hands to the hills behind us that extend north along the edge of the plains. I am suddenly eager to explore this foreign land.

"Your father also killed my father," Hamilton speaks up, his voice a deadly and low growl.

I gasp, swivelling my eyes between the Beta and rogue. I remember the story Hamilton told me about his father following Dennison's orders to check on a disturbance by the border, only to be ambushed and killed by the Alpha of the neighbouring pack.

"I am sorry," Zander lowers his head to Hamilton. "I am sorry that all I can give you is an apology. Alphas Vanko and Dennison had many disagreements, both were hot-headed and arrogant wolves—I mean no offence, Malachi," he glances at Malachi, who nods in acceptance. Not one of us is offended by the slur against Dennison.

Zander continues, "Though I tried to reason with Vanko to stop the arguments before they led to something worse, he decided to cross our border to confront Dennison. By the time I found out what he'd done, it was too late and he'd already taken the lives of your father Beta Arthur and his warriors. I never wanted that to happen, you have to believe me," he looks sincerely at Hamilton, who remains with his arms crossed over his chest and his jaw clenched tight.

When he finally releases a sigh and lets his arms hang by his side, he speaks in a rough voice, "I know it's not your fault, Zander. I just wish..."

"You wish my father was here so you could rip out his throat yourself," Zander finishes the sentence, the sentiment mirroring the look of simmering anger and bitterness on Hamilton's face. "I almost wish the same, as the man broke the law of the land, destroying our pack when our very homelands were taken from us.