Chapter 12

1932 words

"Dinner is ready, Alpha. Your mother has just summoned the guests to the dining hall."

I feel Malachi tense, and I begin to wonder why. He leads me inside, but before we enter a gilded door into what I assume is the dining hall, he releases my hand and whispers in my ear, "Perhaps it is best if we don't present as mates tonight. Everyone is here to discuss some very important matters, and I don't want to distract from the proceedings."

I nod, and when we enter, it is the Beta who leads me to my seat beside my parents while Malachi takes his position at the head of the table.

"Thank you all for responding to my invitation and joining me tonight for dinner. As you may have heard, my pack has recently been troubled by some unexplained killings. I am humbly asking for your insight and advice, which we will discuss shortly."
This admission and request for help takes courage, and though it shows just how young and inexperienced this Alpha is, it also conveys a certain strength and humility in his character. This draws me to him in ways I can't explain.

"But first, let us enjoy our meal," Malachi lifts his glass and everyone does the same as servants come in, carrying trays and platters of steaming delicacies. But my eyes are on Malachi, watching him as he spoke and now as he sits, observing the wolves who are gathered here. A frown creases his brow, and I have the urge to smooth it away with my fingers, to caress his face and silky hair.

His eyes meet mine and he attempts to smile, but then quickly looks away with another dark frown. My gaze follows his.
At the other end of the table sits a woman, her long black hair pinned up in an elegant twist, and her slender shoulders held back with firm dignity. She has a stern expression, but despite its femininity, I can see her face resembles Malachi's. The same strong jawline and high cheekbones, observant  eyes that are framed with long, dark lashes.

So this must be his mother.

If her fierce yet subtle gaze that lingers on her son is anything to go by, I can see why Malachi was bothered by her presence. I discreetly watch her, aware she will be my mother-in-law once Malachi and I have formally accepted each other. I assume her black gown is out of respect for her dead mate who passed a few years ago, leaving his pack to his son. The tight lines around her full lips must be testament to the heartache she feels at losing him. Every wolf loses a piece of themselves with the death of their mate. Some are not strong enough to survive.

Malachi's mother must be a strong woman, however the grief has shaped her. I can sense layers of darkness to this woman, and I suddenly have a fear of being within her close vicinity, of being alone with her. My heart beat picks up as a warning rings in my mind, and I cannot put my finger on why.

The rest of dinner is pleasant as the highly ranked wolves make small talk and light conversation. Every once in a while, my eyes collide with Malachi's, and I am nearly certain I saw him wink at me before I heard a growl from his Beta.

His mother arched a perfect black eyebrow, but otherwise I am left undisturbed.

When we are finished, the Alphas and their commands enter a private room to begin discussions, and I'm personally lead by Malachi's Beta to the adjoining room with a few mates who have been invited as plus-ones. We sit and chat, or pass the time reading assorted history books that are lying around on coffee tables. I am intrigued by the richness of this room, with the dark mahogany cabinets and shelves, faded paintings of scenery and portraits, and brass chandeliers. The floor is covered with patterned oriental carpets, the fireplace ensconced with artistic brickwork. Everything seems like it's from another time, antique and masterfully crafted.

After what seems like hours have passed, I sense a presence near the door, and I look up to see my Alpha mate standing just beyond the threshold. His serious gaze is on me, and shadows seem to chase him into the room but he remains still.