Chapter 64

2146 words

Cool grass cushions my feet as I walk through the luscious meadow.

The grass lengthens with each step I take, until I am standing in a field with knee-high emerald blades and creamy-coloured pampas flowers brushing against my outstretched fingers.
Their soft, billowy petals are illuminated by the setting sun, casting them in golden hues with peach and violet accents.

I close my eyes and feel the sun's warmth on my face, breathing in the fresh air that carries hints of forest pines and chestnuts.

Chestnuts...

My eyes fly open, my heart stuttering in my chest.

Ahead of me, silhouetted by the bright sunset, is the man I have yearned for and dreamed about for so long. He is facing the glowing horizon, the light burnishing his black hair to a deep amber colour. The loose sleeves of his white button-up shirt flutter in the breeze, the colour contrasting against his golden tanned skin. He turns slightly, his face uplifted like mine to the gorgeous sky, and I marvel at the sharp and handsome lines of his face.

Before he even notices me, turning towards me with a boyish grin on his face, I am running. Running with excitement building in my chest, my arms pumping and my hair flowing behind me with abandon, as I close the distance between us.

I don't even give him a moment to brace himself as I jump into his arms, wrapping my own around his neck and burying my face against his shoulder. He places his hand on the back of my head and holds me close, as we breathe in each other's scents. After a moment I lean back and look up into his face, his lips parted in a broad smile that matches my own.

This close, I see how perfect his skin is, how unmarred and soft it is. Each angle and plane is chiselled with stunning design, his jaw sharp and his strong cheekbones high. His tousled inky black hair falls enticingly over his forehead, the waves tangling in the gentle breeze, and I am almost jealous of the wind's fingers that caress my mate so tenderly. Rising on my toes, I press my lips to his in a devoted kiss, and the feeling of his soft touch has me melting in his arms. He bands those strong arms around me tighter until I'm fitted perfectly against his body.

When we are both breathless, he breaks away reluctantly, still smiling. "I wasn't sure you'd come," he says softly, trailing light kisses over my cheek and to my ear. I shiver when goosebumps tingle down the entire side of my body from his tantalising touch.

"Why wouldn't I? I promised to be here before the sun set, Malachi," I tuck my head against his chest, in the spot between his chin and neck where I fit perfectly.

He rubs soothing circles on my back and shrugs casually. "Ahh, but Ariella, you don't normally like making promises. You say nothing is guaranteed in life."

"True," I close my eyes and murmur languidly, inhaling his intoxicating scent that mingles with the fresh air of this pristine countryside. "But there is one promise I will always make to you, and nothing will break it."

He raises an eyebrow, the hint of a grin playing on his face as he looks at me intently. "Is that so? And what if I have a promise to make, too? Who goes first?"

"Hmm..." I bite my lip, and watch as his eyes flicker to the motion of my mouth. I feel the heat in his gaze, yet it doesn't scare me. It only excites me and I rise on my toes to steal a kiss before he can. "Then," I say in a husky voice as I feel his hands roaming my back, sliding around my waist and pulling me closer still. "We wrestle to decide."

"Wrestle?" His face scrunches up in a puzzled expression, and before he can figure out what I mean, I tickle him in the ribs and then pull back as he jumps to retaliate.