Chapter 11

2672 words

The car ride is short as we cross the boundary line between ForgedHearts and DoubleEdge packs. Instantly I feel the strange tingle, like an electric pulse, that warns me of passing onto another Alpha's territory. It makes me wonder why I didn't feel anything the first time I crossed, before I was chased away by the frightening Beta of the pack.

My nervousness grows as we draw closer to the Alpha's estate, which sits on a hill that rises in the middle of his territory. I can see the large mansion from a distance, and it is cold, harsh, and seems to be aching for love. The impression it gives me is one of loneliness. This place hasn't seen kindness or attention for a long time, and I frown at what my senses are telling me. This is just a mansion, an inanimate object, so why is it reaching out to me? It is afraid, and I too become afraid of it.

The structure's details come into focus as we drive up the long driveway. The walls are made of grey stone, shaded gargoyles peer down from each cornice and ledge, and black vines scale the vertical sides, void of all life.  As we park out the front, a servant greets us with thin lips and takes our car around the back.

Drawing my coat closer, I can't help but fill my lungs with the crisp air. It is a cold night, and clouds have blocked the fading rays of sunlight, leaving a dark gray blanket to hang over the entire estate. Soft golden lights are lining the path to the front entrance, casting the only warmth on the otherwise shadowy place. Lifting my eyes from the paved walkway, they land on a dark window that overlooks the courtyard. I am instantly arrested by the face that stares back at me. Hazel eyes narrowed in a scowl, and framed by blonde curly hair. I know this is the Beta, the wolf who wants to impress he is a demon. He chased me away once, and by the looks of things, he wants to do it again. I gulp and hurry to catch up with my parents, who are already being drawn into the mansion by another smiling servant.

Letting the young woman take my coat, I tell myself to relax and enjoy tonight. The food should be good, the drinks lavish, and the music ethereal--or so I've heard from Luci. She claims the dinners hosted by this Alpha family are nothing short of being fit for royalty. How she knows, I have never questioned. But I see she isn't wrong as my eyes survey the foyer. This area alone is decorated finely, with red carpets lining the marble floors, stately furniture holding decorative vases probably worth more than my violin, and glittering chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

As we are led into the receiving room, we are greeted by other guests including a few Alphas and Betas my father has worked with before. I keep a smile on my face, even though I am wishing I was elsewhere. Even surrounded by sticks and thickets would be preferable if I only had a certain warm hand in mine, and blue eyes shining down at me under that fringe of gorgeous black hair--

I'm snapped from my daydreams by a scent; the scent I am longing for. Warm chestnuts are carried by the air columns and invade my senses like a gentle wave on the shore. I never expected to see Mal here, but maybe he works for the Alpha. Maybe he is a servant tonight and I will get to see him after all. My heart thuds with anticipation as my eyes scan the room, but I can't see him and debate whether or not I should explore the surrounding rooms until I do.

All of a sudden the conversation around me ceases as someone enters the room. I can only assume it is the Alpha but my mind is too busy right now to care. I vaguely hear my parents being introduced but my nose is sniffing the air as his scent becomes stronger.

"...and this is our daughter, Ari—"

"Ella?"

I freeze at the sound of that voice. My wolf leaps in delight, and I swivel to the man standing in front of my parents. I see the Alpha staring at me, his clear blue eyes searching me, holding me in their powerful gaze.