Chapter 51

3796 words

The words keep going round and round inside my head, as my feet jog circles around the field.

The reason he wouldn't talk to us was because of you.

The rogue Zander, who may know more than we realise, is refusing to talk. We still don't know what he wants, since he won't tell us.

But maybe he has. Maybe Hamilton is keeping the truth from me. After what happened the last time the Alpha and his closest command told me their plans and I betrayed them, I don't blame the Beta for not trusting me. But would he cover it up and lie to me?

In the same way my mate is lying to me?

The fact neither of them trust me cuts deep. Losing close friends like this hurts. I'm tired. Weary. Sick of this.

But I need to keep going. Training isn't over, and Harlow called for an extra strenuous exercise routine that is meant to prepare us all for the heightened risk of rogue attacks. Everyone is alert, everyone is prepared.

Not all know exactly what happened while Malachi was away, but they do know their future Luna was abducted and tortured, along with the neighbouring pack's Alpha female. Some give me sympathy, others just ignore the fact it happened. They can sense the rift between Malachi and I, and don't want to risk taking sides in whatever is going on between us.
At least some people still have sense around here.

But I am going senseless. Crazy. Mad.

"They're calling for you," Devanshi startles me as she catches up and tugs on my elbow.

I slow my fast pace to walk with her. "Who? What do they want?"
Her dark brown eyes hold a frown, and my dry throat cries for water all the more.

"They say it's time for another challenge. A final test of your strength."

"What?" Who?" It seems I'm repeating questions, but until this makes sense in my mind, I will keep asking. My eyes follow hers to the group in the middle of the field. Hendrik is among them, as well as Hamilton and Harlow, surrounded by older warriors. They're all looking at me, and a wave of dread starts from the top of my head and washes over me until I feel faint.

"They say, you've been training long enough, and it's time to really prove you're worthy. With the Alpha soon turning twenty, they want to see you are ready before he accepts you as our Luna."

I barely hear Devanshi as I jog over to the circle. Subtly, I'm herded to the centre, all eyes on me in a scrutinising way. Their attention is heavy, causing my heart to pound and sweat to break out on my palms. I'm already slicked with sweat, the morning sun shining down brightly on us and displacing the cool temperatures.

"You ready to prove yourself, chicca?" Harlow steps in front of me and crosses her arms, a bright smile on her face that belies her true intentions. I cringe at her odd choice of nickname and how she appraises me with anything but personal pride. She and her brother have been training me, and it looks like all that effort is going to either pay off or push me out of the pack for good.

I can't fail again.

Again again.

It seems that's all I've been doing recently—failing—yet I can't afford that anymore. It's time to change my attitude and change my future.
I need to win.

"Who gives the challenge?" I look around at Harlow's friends, at Devanshi, at any girl other than Harlow.

"Me, of course. Wouldn't be a fair fight if it was anyone else, now would it? The best against the best, am I right?" Harlow flips her hair over her shoulder and I resist the urge to punch her smug smile right off her face.
Save it for the fight, I tell myself.