What We Do In The Shadows: "Jen..." Part XLIX...

Summary: There are unexpected consequences when Laszlo seeks a new human familiar...

Part XLIX...

Mexico City, the Gran Ciudal...

A reluctant Susan had returned to her own bed as part of a deal in which Guillermo promised to stop reflecting on his guilt...He noting her sleeping with him hardly could mitigate his feelings.

He pondered as he lay in bed...Despite the urge to start immediately thumbing the Book, he couldn't take the risk she'd spy it.

Perhaps a quick trip to the bathroom keeping the Book hidden and displaying the old Bible? One that turned extensive due to the call of Nature and perhaps a bit too much wine the night before? Then once she was surely asleep...?

Maybe he could even find a reference to liberating the enthralled, short of the death of the thrallee or thraller?

Leading perhaps to his own death at her enraged hands before dawn...?

He carefully rises out of his bed...Trying to keep the Book under the bible. He just barely managing to turn to conceal both when the light on her bedside table snaps on...

"Gui? You ok?" she asks, a bit wearily.

"Fine, just gonna use the facilities..."

"Oh, ok...Say I may as well call Ginny, let her know what's going on here."

"It's kinda late..." he notes, carefully sliding to the bathroom door.

"She'll be waiting for it." Susan shrugs. "And if she's asleep, she'll still want the message."

"Yeah, I suppose so...Well, say hi."

"Sure..." as he enters the bathroom, quickly shutting door.

"Hey, Gin...Did I wake you?" Susan asks phone. "Oh, ok...No, nothing so far except the guy I'd met was hanging around us all night, deliberately I think. And that lady, the wife of Baron Afanas, is here too. She knew Gui's aunt...What? No...No, Ginny. Gui's just been trying to see his aunt. Uh-huh, good. I didn't think the Master would have done that without telling some of us. But Gin, I do think this guy, Dr. Acura is following us. There's something up here, I'm glad I came with Gui...Apart from, you know..." grin.

"No...He's been a perfect gentleman. Ginny? Though I could wish he'd be less so...!" raising voice a bit at end.

Guillermo, in bathroom, trying to listen as best he could while looking over the Book. An ordinary, tan-colored, leather-covered journal by appearance...

Just hope those spots aren't dried blood...

"The Annals of Van Helsing..." on title page just inside.

"Dedicated to the suffering...And my courageous friends who labor in the Shadows..."

"Abraham Van Helsing...1890."

"Van Helsing did what?!" he hears Susan's stunned voice raised. "Gui! Van Helsing came by again and took Ginny this time!" she calls.

He eyes the Annals...

"She ok?!" he calls.

"Fine! Just kinda stunned! You wanna come out and talk to her?!"

"I'll have to call her back...Just ask her what happened, ok?! I mean, did he say anything important?!"

"Sure!"

He nearly drops the Book as he turns to a graphic illustration of the mechanics of staking a female vampire...In rather bold if beautiful color print, no less...Complete with bloody spurt from the rather innocent-looking and lovely girl's chest.