Chapter 18: I Love You

"Hey, Hon," Lucia smiled, kissing Denny's cheek. "You feel better?"

"A little bit."

"I made breakfast," Lucia nodded. "Are you hungry?"

"Thanks."

"After you eat, we have to change the dressing on the incision. If you remind me, I'll do it for you."

"I could just go to the doctor."

"For a simple thing like that?" Lucia chuckled.

"Yeah."

"Denny, you really don't have to. It's a simple thing. I can do it in two minutes."

"You sure?"

"Hon, there's no need to go to the doctor. I've got it," Lucia assured.

Denny nodded.

"Now, what would you like to eat?"

"Eggs and toast?"

"Perfect," Lucia smiled, handing him a plate, "because that's exactly what I made."

"Oh, thank you."

"So," Lucia sighed, sitting down next to him at the counter, "what's the game plan for today?"

"I don't know. I'm sick of my house."

"Well, I'll make you a deal. If you can go the entire day without hurting yourself, I'll take you out to breakfast tomorrow morning. Sound good?"

"Really? Deal."

Lucia smirked. "Just letting you know, I have very little faith in you. Ya don't have the best track record."

Denny huffed. "What a friend."

Lucia chuckled and kissed his forehead. "I'm kidding, Hon."

Denny gave her a look of skepticism.

"I was. In all seriousness, you do have to start being careful. You won't heal properly if you keep hurting yourself."

"I don't try to get hurt."

"I know, Hon."

Denny pouted. "And yet, no sympathy."

Lucia kissed his forehead and waited until he finished eating to take his plate. "Ready for me to change the dressing around your incision?"

"Sure." Denny took off his shirt as Lucia found the supplies.

"Can you do me a favor and lay down on the couch?"

Denny complied.

Lucia carefully pulled up the tape. "I'm not hurting you, am I?"

"A little."

"Sorry, Hon. I'm trying to be gentle. I know it's tender."

Denny nodded.

Lucia gently took off the gauze pad and inspected the incision area. "Ooh, that'll leave a nice scar," she chuckled.

Denny groaned. "Aw, man."

"I'm kidding. It'll heal up nicely," Lucia nodded, trying not to press too hard as she held a new dressing to his abdomen.

Denny rolled his eyes and was quiet while she finished up.

"There we go," Lucia smiled. "I'm just going to wash my hands." She quickly went to the kitchen. "So, I'm thinking we could watch a bunch of movies today. What do you think?"

"Okay. Then I won't hurt myself."

"Perfect," Lucia chuckled.

Denny smiled and stretched out.