Chapter 13: Potato Guy

"Monica, are the cookies almost ready?" Lucia asked eagerly.

"Yep. Everything's ready."

"Perfect," Lucia nodded. "Gosh, I'm so nervous."

"You'll do fine."

"When do you think he'll get here?"

"He said his plane would come in around three."

"It's two fifty-six," Lucia said nervously. "Which means we have ten minutes until he lands. Plus the time it will take him to get his luggage and get over here. Do you think I should have picked him up?"

"No. He said he'd take a cab and be here soon. Just go change, if you want. You're so nervous," Monica chuckled.

"Yes, I am. What should I wear?" Lucia moaned. "I don't want to be too fancy, but I don't want to look too casual either."

"Go try on something and I'll give you my opinion," Monica smiled.

Lucia went into her room and put on a white crop top and denim overall shorts with a daisy choker. She went back out to the living room where Monica was and asked, "What do you think?"

"Hm...I like the overalls. Full t-shirt?"

"It's in the wash," Lucia sighed. "What about a sweater and leggings?"

"You can try it, but I like this."

"Alright. Gosh, how much longer?"

"Oh, Lucia. He'll be here soon. You'll be fine."

"I hope so."

Monica had her friend sit and watch some TV to distract her.

Not very long after, there was a knock on the door.

"It's him!" Lucia grinned.

Denny opened the door, "Ello, ello, ello," he said with a huge smile.

"Oh, it's you," Lucia sighed.

"Ouch. Sorry I came." Denny put a hand over his chest, faking injury.

"I didn't mean that," Lucia frowned. "Come here." She wrapped her arms around him.

"She's just nervous about her pen pal," Monica chuckled.

"Oh, that's right. French Fry Guy is coming."

"It's Potato Guy," Lucia muttered.

Just then, there was another knock on the door.

"Okay. You two, go in the kitchen," Lucia sighed. "I'm going to answer the door."

"Alright," Monica chuckled, leading Denny to the other room.

Lucia took a deep breath and opened the door. "Hi."

When Potato Guy turned around, the two looked at each other for a few seconds, utterly stunned.

"Lucia?" Potato Guy asked after a moment, eyes wide.

"Sean?" Lucia gaped.

He swallowed.

"Oh my goodness," Lucia said slowly. "Potato Guy...my nickname for you in college. It makes sense now."

Sean was nervous. It ended badly the last time they were together. "I guess I should've used my real name."

"N-no. It's fine," Lucia stammered. "Please, come in."

Sean stepped in and found that couldn't speak.

"Listen," Lucia said slowly, "I, um...I always wished that I would have accepted your proposal. I wanted to tell you that I changed my mind, but then you got a new number and I had no way to contact you."