Chapter 9: Go Ahead

Kyle knocked on the front door, which was quickly opened by Monica. "Hey," she smiled brightly. "Come on in. Everyone's just playing games."

"Alright," Kyle nodded, stepping inside.

Monica brought him to the living room and they sat down on the couch after Kyle pulled his phone out of his back pocket and set it aside.

"...and then he said his mother was doing better," Lucia whispered to Denny. "For Potato Guy's sake, I hope she holds on."

Denny nodded in agreement. "It doesn't sound good. I hope she hold on too."

Kyle's phone began to ring.

"Uh, who's Candy Smith?" Lucia frowned, reading the name off the screen.

Kyle shut it off, hoping his friend would get the hint and not call again, but unfortunately she didn't and the name popped up on his phone once more.

"Are you going to answer that?" Lucia sighed.

Kyle sighed and moved his phone, Lucia's nosiness making him uncomfortable.

Candy called a third time.

"You can get that if you want," Lucia nodded.

Kyle went to the kitchen and answered the call, saying, "I'm busy. What do you want?"

"I need to see you," a girl with a Brooklyn accent sighed.

"Why?"

"I miss you. I feel like I haven't ya in foreva."

"You saw me on Wednesday."

"Last Wednesday," Candy clarified. "As in, over a week ago."

"So?"

"So I want to see ya. Is that a crime?"

"When I'm at someone's house for dinner, yes. But I'll be over soon, Baby," Kyle sighed.

"Alright," Candy huffed. "See you soon."

Kyle smiled. "Bye, Babe. Love you."

"Love you too."

Kyle hung up the phone.

Lucia came into the kitchen, her arms crossed. "Do you have something to confess?"

Kyle looked at her. "What?"

"You're past the point of no return, kid. I just heard that conversation," Lucia smirked.

"So? It wasn't anything."

"You're dating her and Monica."

"I'm not dating Candy."

"You just told her you love her."

"Everyone says it."

"I'm telling Monica."

"Go ahead, but do you think she'll believe you?"

"I'm her best friend. I'd never lie to her and she knows that."

"I know you don't like me. She knows that too."

"So? She'll still believe me."

"Try it."

Lucia went back out into the living room. "Mon," she said softly, "I have something to tell you."

Monica looked at her. "What is it?"

Lucia sat down next to her. "Listen," she sighed, "I just overheard Kyle in the kitchen, and...he's cheating on you with another girl. He told her he loves her."

Monica sighed. "Lucia, how long will this go on?"

"What do you mean?" Lucia frowned.

"Why are you making this stuff up? You can just tell me you don't like him. Just stop making him look bad," Monica huffed, standing up.

"Mon, I'd never lie to you. You know that."

"But you keep huffing or asking weird questions to make him uncomfortable ."

"I don't ask him things to make him uncomfortable," Lucia sighed. "And I'm not lying. Denny, you believe me, don't you?"

Denny looked at Lucia and then to Monica. "I am staying out of this."

"I believe you," Jonah nodded.

"Thank you," Lucia muttered. "Monica, come on. You can't seriously think that I'd lie to you."

"I don't know. That hurt. Bad."

"Mon, I'm not lying to you. I would never."

Monica sighed. "Can we just drop it? Please? I am sick of this conversation."

"Fine."

The room went silent.

—————

Later that night.

Lucia sat at her vanity as she wrote her next letter to Potato Guy, which reads as follows:

Dear Potato Guy,

Glad to hear your mother is doing better.

On a not so happy note, you'll never believe what I found out about Kyle. He's cheating on Monica with some Candy Smith girl. What's worse? When I told Monica, she wouldn't believe me.

Here's basically what happened: Someone repeatedly called Kyle's phone. Finally, he went into the kitchen and answered. A minute after, I got up to get some water and I overheard him talking. He told the girl that he loves her. AND when I confronted him, he said it was no big deal and that Monica wouldn't believe me. So I went to her and told her and she didn't. I hate that he was right.

What do I do? I don't want to see her get hurt, but she won't listen to me.

Give my love to Mom.

Lydia