We Gather Together Chapter One Hundred Fifteen

Sam McCulloch put the last plate of food at his place at the head of the table. He saw that everyone was standing behind a chair and had a plate of what each had requested to eat. All the women and girls were wearing their seasonal corsages; one remained on Emma's empty plate.

Julia nodded at the other end of the table and extended both hands to everyone standing. To her left, it was Lindsay with Cara, then Alison, Jason and Annie who then held hands with Sam; to Julia's right, it was Ben, then Kelly, Jack, Courtney, Drew and finally Sam. It was a full circle.

Annie nodded to Jason, Kelly and Courtney to start singing the hymn. "We. . ."

Everyone at the table knew the hymn by heart and joined in, singing, "We gather together. . ."

Julia heard the hinge of the front storm door creak and the front door open. "To ask the Lord's blessing."

She stopped singing and wanted to listen harder.

It was Scott.

He entered the living room in time to sing by himself, "He hastens and chastens His will to make known." He was wearing his bomber jacket and a necktie and was breathing heavily. Maya slowly appeared behind him.

Everyone at the table gasped; all were in shock and staring in disbelief as Julia encouraged everyone to continue singing. "The wicked oppressing. . ."

Julia let go of Cara and Ben, leaving the table to extend her arms out to Scott. He grabbed his mother. "Now ceases from distressing."

As Julia drew Scott to the table, he grasped Maya's left hand. They joined the circle when Ben took Maya's right hand. "Sing praises to His name. He forgets not his own."

At the end of the hymn, everyone around the table squeezed hands.

Then there was silence. Julia stared at Sam who was transfixed. He was too stunned to say a word.

Julia didn't hesitate to grab Scott when chatter started in the room. She hugged Scott and didn't want to let go, kissing his face and holding his shoulders to look him in the eye. Amid the startled comments around the table, Drew said, "Welcome home, prodigal brother."

Scott was nervous and started pulling on his tie. The significance of Scott wearing a tie wasn't lost on anyone in the room who knew what had happened eight years ago.

Scott proceeded to introduce Maya to everyone around the table. "This is a friend of mine who drove with me all the way from San Francisco, Maya Noguchi. And these less than trustworthy characters are my brother Drew McCulloch and my brother-in-law Jack Drexler."

Sam took Emma's corsage from her place at the table and pinned it on Maya, saying "Welcome." Julia still had her arm around Scott; she could barely hold back her tears. "And this is my patient and adoring mother." Julia kissed him again on the cheek.

Scott motioned to the others around the table. "And this is my very grown up niece Courtney."

"You're my Uncle Scott?" she asked.

"Yes," Scott answered, bending down to her, "I'm your long-lost phantom Uncle Scott."

"That's my baby sister," Courtney said pointing across the table to Lindsay in her highchair.

"Lindsay," said Scott. He passed behind his mother to admire his newest niece, "You're a cute little girl." He kissed her on the head which startled her. Lindsay began crying.

As Cara tried to calm the baby, Scott said, "This may be too much for her."

"It's too much for me. I'm crying too," answered Cara.