We Gather Together Chapter Forty-Nine

Sam McCulloch walked down the porch stairs of the old Harrington home, relieved to learn that he had nothing to worry about. Doc Kaplan told him that the tests were inconclusive and for Sam to see him again in six months for another routine follow-up. There was no need to tell Julia or anyone else for that matter. He was healthy and had miles to go before he slept, he thought to himself, paraphrasing Robert Frost in his mind.

Sam had learned years ago that time is the most precious commodity in existence because it is so limited. No one knows how many moments they are allotted until it is too late. As a young man, Sam had decided to make each day his, vowing to find joy and wonder in each hour – or at least consciously to try. His recent surgery had made all such efforts all the more urgent and significant.

Sam turned the corner from Chestnut onto Main Street, passing a frame shop and waving to Will and Madeleine Carter through their store window as he went next door to Bonnie Ziegler's dress shop. Bonnie was with the husband of another customer when she saw Sam enter. "Two men in my store at the same time? That sure doesn't happen very often."

Sam looked at the other man, who was about the same age as Sam and Bonnie. Sam didn't recognize him, so he introduced himself, which caught Bonnie off-guard. "You mean there's someone in Castlebury who doesn't know Sam McCulloch?"

"I guess I was too busy getting up early in the morning and coming home late at night from the city," said the man. He put out his right hand to Sam. "Anyway, I haven't had the pleasure."

"Neither have I," said Sam, shaking hands with him. "Sam McCulloch."

"Norm Baldwin," he announced.

"Any relation to Frances Baldwin at the elementary school?" Sam asked.

"My wife. She was the principal's secretary there for thirty-one years."

"Everyone knows she was the one who really ran the school."

"I always thought so too. She retired two years ago."

"I had heard that. Please give her our best. She was wonderful to all four of my kids."

Norm then realized something, "You must be Annie McCulloch's father."

"Annie Drexler now. But yes."

"You may not know this, but when your daughter was in first or second grade, she made a Christmas ornament out of cardboard and glitter. And she gave it to my wife. It was very clever, with six sides, a combination of a star and a snowflake. Frances had seen her in line for the school bus, holding and protecting it. When Frances told her how pretty it was, your daughter just gave it to her. Right then and there. 'It's yours,' she said. Frances protested, but your daughter said she could make another one. Your daughter's snowflake-star has been on our Christmas tree every year ever since. For the past twenty-five years or so, she has been a part of our holiday. I watch the smile on Frances' face every year when she puts that ornament on the tree."

Bonnie and Sam were moved by Norm's story about Annie's childhood gift to his wife.

"Thank you, Norm. That's very nice to hear. I'll be sure to let Annie know. In the meantime, have a wonderful Thanksgiving."

Norm Baldwin said he would remember Sam to his wife as he exited the shop with a dress on a hanger. Bonnie then handed Sam a hanger with Julia's wool skirt. Bonnie wanted to know when Emma was going to be in town since she had put aside a few things for her, one thing she might like to wear at Christmas. Sam couldn't answer Bonnie's question since no one had heard from Emma, but they might soon, saying that the national transportation strike appeared to be near a settlement by the next day, the busiest travel day of the year for the airlines. "Can you imagine the chaos?" was Bonnie's only comment. "I like being right here."