We Gather Together Chapter Ninety-Eight

Julia McCulloch couldn't sleep so she decided to get up with the sun. Peering through an open edge of a window shade, the first light of day shined in her face to announce that it was time for her to get out of bed and get going. There was much to do. She shut off the alarm before it could wake Sam and then closed a curtain so the sunlight wouldn't rouse him either.

She quietly tiptoed into the bathroom to shower and wash her hair, closing the door tightly behind her so that room light and diminished noise wouldn't bother Sam. She wanted him to sleep in for at least another hour. It would be a long and emotional day for him, especially with Scott not there yet again – and with Emma there, yet again. However, the exuberant energy and happiness of the grandchildren would deflect any sorrow or regret he might feel.

For Julia, today was her day to share her love for her family. She was surprised that even at her age, and with all her years of experience, the anticipation of having everyone there for Thanksgiving still excited and invigorated her.

She had held Thanksgiving at their home for over thirty years and figured that she had it down by now; nevertheless, there was always something that would waylay even the best planning and preparation. She wondered what it would be this year. Please no instant fillet of the turkey, she pleaded, her eyes raised upward in the bathroom mirror as she brushed her teeth. For her, no matter what happened, she had put in her best effort – and the family was together, either in person or in spirit, past or present, and that was what was most important.

The family being gathered together was why Julia loved singing the first verse of the hymn before the meal. To her it was better and more meaningful than saying grace. Sam's grandmother had started that tradition and she hoped that her grandchildren would carry it on after she was gone.

Enough of that kind of thinking for now, she thought. There was too much to do today to even consider twenty or thirty years from now – even though she couldn't help but remember twenty and thirty years back, and beyond, while she prepared for today. For Julia, all the family history gave this day its meaning, purpose and fulfillment, as well as its emotional heart.

She slipped out of her nightshirt and hooked it on the back of the door. She avoided glancing at the mirror, stepped into the shower and checked the water temperature before shifting its force to the showerhead. She squirted shampoo from a plastic bottle into her hand and began spreading the gel around her head.

While Julia was washing her hair in the shower, she hoped that her hair would dry quickly – and that the sound of the water wasn't disturbing Sam.

Too late. It had.

The water pressure in the shower ebbed which meant that a faucet at the bathroom sink was on. She peered around the shower curtain to see Sam brushing his teeth in the fogging mirror. From behind the shower curtain, Julia said, "I'll be right out, Sam."

But Sam didn't answer her. He rinsed his mouth, let his underwear land on the bathroom floor and pulled aside the shower curtain. He saw that Julia was having the water of the shower warm and soothe her face and chest.

"Sam, what are you doing?"

He stepped into the shower with her. "Shhh. I'm going to wash your back."

"Sam, have you lost it?"

"Not yet, but I will if you don't be quiet," he smirked.

She turned around and saw what was happening below Sam's waist. Early morning joggers out on Pleasanton Road could have heard them laughing.