We Gather Together Chapter Thirty

Ben McCulloch was seated at his desk in his room in Wallach Hall. He could see the last of the sunset reflected in his dorm window, which was again reflected on the high-rise buildings across Amsterdam Avenue. He had felt fortunate to get a single corner room on the fourth floor. He thought of it as living in a hotel room, but without a private bathroom. He was opening a textbook for his circuitry test the next morning when Alison knocked on his door and entered. She was shaking and upset.

"What's wrong?"

"My father just called. He was drunk and begged me to come home for Thanksgiving. He told me he can use his connections to get me a flight out Wednesday morning. He wants to reconcile with my mother."

Ben stood up to hold her, but she instead moved toward his bed. He got his skate bag, jacket and hockey stick out of her way. Alison sat on the edge of the bed, pushing his pillow aside.

"I can't do it, Ben," she said. "I can't go home to the screaming and yelling. That's what it'll be. I know the script by heart. He'll be nice, but he will sneak drinks and then the fight will happen."

"What about your mother?"

"She wants to give it a try. At my uncle's. Neutral territory." She stared at him. "Ben, I can't do it."

Ben grabbed his cell phone from his desk. "Tell them you're having Thanksgiving with me. I'll call my mom right now."

"No, Ben. I can't. It's your family time. That's not right, Ben."

"We have more guests coming? Mom cuts up a few more tomatoes and puts them in the salad. There's always plenty of food, trust me."

Alison glanced out the window at the reflection of the setting sun on the windows across Amsterdam Avenue. Ben swiped his phone and found his mother's cell number.