We Gather Together Chapter Seventy-Nine

Drew McCulloch parked his Mustang in the lot behind the Castlebury Luncheonette. Courtney was in the front seat next to her father, unbuckling her seat belt. When Drew had told Courtney that she was riding "shotgun," he had to explain how the term came from stagecoach drivers in old Western movies, all of which further confused her since she had no idea what a stagecoach was or an old Western movie. He decided to avoid any lengthy explanation at that point and said that she was his RC or radio control. She understood her new responsibility and kept pushing the five buttons on the car's original radio until Drew cautioned her to find one station so they could at least hear one song all the way through.

As Drew and Courtney got out of their car, Jack parked the Suburban next to it, causing great excitement among the three cousins about having breakfast together. Jason announced that he'd have chocolate chip pancakes while Kelly said she was ordering oatmeal for her and Chelsea, to which Jason told her she could have that at home and to get something special. Kelly retorted that their mother made chocolate chip pancakes at home too and then said she'd have to discuss the menu with Chelsea and decide once they got inside the luncheonette. Three children, two fathers and one stuffed bunny rabbit headed toward the back entrance of the local eatery.

Once inside, Drew and Jack found a table for five by a large window that overlooked Main Street. As they took off their coats and jackets to sit down, Jack noticed three contractors enter the former movie theater across the street. "Looks like they're making steady progress with the old Rialto," he mentioned to Drew as the two brothers-in-law distributed menus to their children from the stack next to the napkin holder in the middle of the table.

"It'll be a real asset to the area."

"They'll need printing done too for all their productions and programs."

"Kyle Rosenberg is the architect. You know he's doing some preliminary drawings for me for the plant expansion."

"We may be working together, Drew. Or at least, kind of. I should know on Monday about the job working for Worldwide."

"You got the job."

"What are you saying? How do you know?" asked Jack, surprised to hear this good news.

"Pam Milstead told me."

"You sure about that?"

"She said for me not to say anything, but she thought I might like to know. They're going to announce it Monday. She gave lip service to the two other candidates yesterday and then she called to tell me. You're going to be working in corporate HQ."

Jack stared at Drew. Neither one needed to say anything further. They both knew that one pressure was now off their shoulders which would make room for the added, heavier pressure that was to come, for both of them. It wasn't anything that either of them couldn't handle. They both welcomed it.

"That's one hell of a relief," Jack said, forgetting that young ears were also at the table.

"Daddy, you said a bad word," declared Kelly.

"Heck of a relief," Jack said, correcting himself.

"What's a relief, Dad? Does this mean you're moving back home?" asked Jason.

"Not yet, Jason."

"Dad. . ." Jason continued, visibly disappointed.

"You want chocolate chip pancakes," Jack interrupted, then asked "What does everyone else want?"