We Gather Together Chapter One Hundred Seven

Sam McCulloch brought in another armload of split logs from a woodshed at the back of the house. Julia closed the back door behind him. "You got it?"

"I'm good. Thank you."

Julia remained in the kitchen as she watched Sam bend down on one knee to unload the logs in the brass hopper. He saw that embers were forming and that the fire was burning steadily. He didn't have to use the poker or fire tongs just yet.

When he stood up, Sam saw through the front window Cara's minivan enter the driveway from Pleasanton Road. It was followed by Ben's Corvette and Annie's Suburban. "They're here!"

Julia became extremely excited. She lived for these few hours every year.

"I'd better get the hors d'oeuvre platters out. You go help them, Sam. I am certain they will all have something for you to help carry in."

Sam put on his red-and-black checkered jacket and his flat tweed cap from the brass coat tree in the foyer, opened the front door and pushed against the storm door. The hinge was not going to get oiled today, he thought. He stood at the top of the porch stairs to savor the chaotic activity that would be happening before him, courtesy of his very active and alive family.

Outside in the driveway, first Drew pulled into the turnaround then Ben while Jack parked the Suburban next to the house. As everyone exited cars at the same time, all saw that everyone was dressed appropriately for the occasion, especially Courtney who was in her red-and-white party dress. It wouldn't be otherwise; they all knew the rules. They had been taught that while rules can influence behavior, behavior can also influence rules. Today was a day to be on one's best behavior; there would be no arguments or inappropriate conversation, nothing that would make anyone uncomfortable.

As various McCullochs and Drexlers imitated a dress rehearsal of a French farce with all the opening, closing and sliding of car doors and trunks, Sam saw Ben stand among his siblings as if he were a college cheerleader and announced, "Everyone, this is Alison."

Alison thought that Ben's timing was off. She wasn't exactly presentable since she was lifting the baking pan with the gooey butter cake from the back seat of the Corvette – and showing most people her backside.

While it wasn't Alison's most flattering pose, she quickly understood the McCullochs were relaxed in their social confidence, with an ability to put others at ease, dismissing any pretension and guile on these occasions as bad manners. Holding the baking pan, Alison experienced a sudden cacophony of "Hellos," "So nice to meet you," "We're glad you're here," "I'm Jason," "What are you doing with my little brother?" "Better yet, why?" "These two are Courtney and Lindsay," "Her name is Chelsea," "Escape now while you can," and "You haven't met Aunt Emma yet."

"Speaking of Aunt Emma," Drew said as he looked at his wristwatch, "Everyone, check your watches."

As Drew, Jack and Ben all made sure their wristwatches were working, Cara advised a perplexed Alison, "Don't listen to them. Aunt Emma's really very nice." Cara then adjusted Lindsay's pacifier and indicated to Drew to take the highchair from the back of the minivan and into the house.

Annie came up behind Alison, "What you don't get, and aren't really supposed to, is that our father once said casually that Aunt Emma had a face that would stop a clock. It was when she would make some political statement and scrunch her face all up."

"He was joking, of course," said Cara, trying to be as diplomatic as possible, "but all of his kids were younger then and took him seriously. It's been kind of a family thing ever since."