We Gather Together Chapter One Hundred Eight

Scott McCulloch felt the car slow down as he woke up from his nap. Maya had been applying the brakes of the Bimmer as traffic crawled because of road construction on I-80 in the Delaware Water Gap. The interstate was only two lanes in either direction, reducing traffic speed even further as vehicles were funneled into one lane, even though no road crews were working.

From the passenger seat, Scott could see the traffic coming to a stop around a curve about a half mile ahead of them. Maya was also becoming a bit unsettled since it was tough for her to see around a semi-trailer directly ahead of them.

Scott referred to the digital clock on the dashboard. It was well past one o'clock and it would be at least another three hours to Castlebury.

"Now we'll never make it," Scott grumbled to himself.

Maya had heard him. She examined the gas gauge. "We're at a half tank, Scott."

"We can stop in New Jersey. Cheap gas there. That's one good thing about the Garden State. Cheap gas. And they pump it for you. I can take over driving then if you want."

"I'm cool with all that. But we have to get there first."

As Maya stared at the soot-and-tar-covered rear doors of the semi in front of her, Scott checked his cell phone. There was text on it from his mother, "Happy Thanksgiving. We miss you."